UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Coilovers

Old 04-23-2012, 09:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tailhappy
Originally Posted by loftust' timestamp='1334954185' post='21628109
[quote name='tailhappy' timestamp='1334953215' post='21628057']
[quote name='PedroHicken' timestamp='1334950518' post='21627922']
but then im never going to take my car on track either...
Bizarre That answers it for me. Coilovers are for track use only. The stock suspension is fine for the road. Never understand why people fit coilovers for the road. Utterly pointless.

Choosing a sensible set of aftermarket coilovers, and tailoring them with a good geo setup will improve the handling of the car...even on public roads.

A fellow member used to comment on my KWV3 setup saying "My S would just understeer and not make it round that bend at such speed". This was at legal speeds and is just one example of how decent coilovers will benefit the car, and the driving experience. His S had polybushes, and a popular 'fast road' setup too.

The ride comfort need not be sacrificed either.

OP - If you can afford ~ £700, get the Meister Rs, or a set of second hand Bilstein PSS9s or KWV3s...you won't be disappointed.
[/quote]

Any person fitting coilovers to an S2K purely for road driving is such a ponce. The stock suspension set up correctly is a dream for the road. But hey its your money. You guys obviously know more than Honda and the Gan San as you are far better drivers

Its like the oil filter stopper device. Utter nonsense
[/quote]

Blimey, you are quite an angry person, arnt you?

Thankyou for the heads up guys, I will look into these coilovers and see what they are like.

Actually, does anyone have them by say...the junction 10 m6 area?

Thanks.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just a quick one maty. I had an oil filter blow off on the dyno an my prestine 09 5000 mile car, it made a bit of a mess really.so really I can't see a point to the filter stoppers, so ignore my above comment.

So is baba San(whatever his name is) also responsible for shite engines in the 08-09 cars? Or does he do what every body else at Honda does and shove his head up his ass and pretend the problem doesn't exist??
Old 04-23-2012, 10:50 PM
KFC

Originally Posted by PedroHicken
Originally Posted by tailhappy' timestamp='1335213353' post='21635611
[quote name='loftust' timestamp='1334954185' post='21628109']
[quote name='tailhappy' timestamp='1334953215' post='21628057']
[quote name='PedroHicken' timestamp='1334950518' post='21627922']
but then im never going to take my car on track either...
Bizarre That answers it for me. Coilovers are for track use only. The stock suspension is fine for the road. Never understand why people fit coilovers for the road. Utterly pointless.

Choosing a sensible set of aftermarket coilovers, and tailoring them with a good geo setup will improve the handling of the car...even on public roads.

A fellow member used to comment on my KWV3 setup saying "My S would just understeer and not make it round that bend at such speed". This was at legal speeds and is just one example of how decent coilovers will benefit the car, and the driving experience. His S had polybushes, and a popular 'fast road' setup too.

The ride comfort need not be sacrificed either.

OP - If you can afford ~ £700, get the Meister Rs, or a set of second hand Bilstein PSS9s or KWV3s...you won't be disappointed.
[/quote]

Any person fitting coilovers to an S2K purely for road driving is such a ponce. The stock suspension set up correctly is a dream for the road. But hey its your money. You guys obviously know more than Honda and the Gan San as you are far better drivers

[/quote]

Blimey, you are quite an angry person, arnt you?

Thankyou for the heads up guys, I will look into these coilovers and see what they are like.

Actually, does anyone have them by say...the junction 10 m6 area?

Thanks.
[/quote]

Didn't know gixer bought an s 2000 .....

Pedro meister is a trader on nutz, discount ?
Old 04-23-2012, 11:31 PM

Interesting "debate", this. I agree with Lovegroova's observations (post 19) about Bilstein PSS9s: which I have fitted to my car too - though I'm perfectly happy with the stiffest setting for track use (even sometimes a click or two off stiffest, depending on the track and the conditions). Set soft, or even 4 or 5 clicks away from soft, the car is lovely to drive, even on our UK B roads, and my wife (a staunch critic of an uncomfortable car!) finds it more comfy than before.

It is perhaps worth pointing out that the OEM suspension consists of coilovers too. All you are doing when you get new "coilovers" as we all call them on here, is fitting suspension units which aren't OEM, are likely to have different spring and damper characteristics from OEM, and which usually have some degree of adjustment. How we choose to adjust them depends on what we want from our cars.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:02 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I enjoyed my standard coilovers very much, the only downside I found was the massive arch gap, a standard s2000 is simply too high up to be a sports car and it just doesn't look right.

Mine only had 30k on so I can't comment on how they age but I can see them not performing so well when they reach higher milage and it's just too expensive to replace with a new standard set to make it worth it, there are a lot of cheaper and better options available even if you never go on track or never want to adjust it, you can still set it to whatever height and stiffness you like and leave it at that.

I have my MeisterR set for 5 months and I love it, it's not far off the standard stiffness but I can make it a lot stiffer when on track, and I've got the ride height I wanted.

Perfect
Old 04-24-2012, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by tailhappy

There's nothing like winding up modders. Nice bit of sport if you ask me.

Stock is fine for the road, even on my ever so scary MY00. And yes the S2000 was tested in Europe before launch
Old 04-24-2012, 12:39 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If it's fine that doesn't mean there's no room for improvement especially on your MY00, I can imagine them not working as they did 14yrs ago.

And UK roads differ a lot from European roads, so that's not really a comparison either.... Allthough I have read somewhere that a lot of car manufacturers use UK roads for testing as when it works here it'll work everywhere else as well
Old 04-24-2012, 01:08 AM

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Dembo
Honda know so much that they changed the suspension in 2001, again in 2004, in 2007 and I think in 2009 too.
Plus they released different Geo settings specifically for the UK sometime after its release which proves it was only retro-tested......

Anyway back OT. I've D2 coilovers on my S2000, mainly due to a busted shock i decided to replace the whole lot as its an '01. They are average id say, but this is in comparision to other coilovers i've had which were not damping adjustable.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:18 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

in response to the OP, I've had Meister R coilovers fitted and ride height lowered.

The cost is reasonable (roughly £600 - £700) excluding fitting.

I have found the Meister R coilovers to be very capable, and comfortable too. A very good choice
if you want to lower your car and upgrade your current setup.

Don't forget that if upgrading your coilovers, it's a good idea to sort out your Geo as well.

Finally if you're going to lower your car by more than 30mm, you might need to consider a couple of other things.

I found this thread which might assist.

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/898...#entry20984255
Old 04-24-2012, 01:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WinFreak
If it's fine that doesn't mean there's no room for improvement especially on your MY00, I can imagine them not working as they did 14yrs ago.
WHS. I never thought mine was that good on OEM suspension. Adequate yes, but not good. I still had a Primera GT as a cheapo second car at the time, and I always thought the suspension on that was far better than on the S.

Maybe that's because it was a 99, or maybe they were just a little tired and so replacing with brand new suspension was better. But either way, fitting Bilsteins was a big improvement, and most the benefit was on the road.

Quick Reply: Coilovers