UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Coilovers

Old 04-28-2012, 03:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by grandmer
Originally Posted by lovegroova' timestamp='1335517627' post='21648087
[quote name='s2konroids' timestamp='1335443034' post='21644684']

Thanks.

I could some it up by meaning 'stability' and 'handling', for example on a bumpy B road you can have an unsettled ride that is fidgety and tends to bounce and be unresponsive and also has a vacant feel thus typically doesn't corner/handle well.

I believed that in some instances, some coilovers could exacerbate the above which for me is undesirable but i guess its the geo as much as the coil-overs, not that clued on suspension that much TBH.
One of the jobs of the suspension is to keep the wheels in contact with the road surface. If the springing and damping is unable to do this on a bumpy road (certainly the case with my Gaz setup, and also on the TEIN setup I mentioned above) then you're unable to steer or put the power down properly and things get scary quickly. In addition, things tend to be uncomfortable on "average" roads too.

On a smooth track, this isn't so much of a problem, so you can have stiff springs and little damping for reduced roll.

Geo will improve whatever you have, but it can't make up for an overly stiff setup, which I think many of the aftermarket coilovers do have.

If you can, I'd suggest having some passenger rides/drives of various cars equipped with different coilovers and see what you think.

Coilovers won't in general make your significantly faster than one with an OEM setup - that much is obvious from the Car Limits days where the fastest cars are often those with the fewest modifications (bar those with huge power). i.e. the driver is by far the largest factor in the equation.
I had BC Racing Coilovers before but decided to sell them because of this, the car felt uncomfortable on anything less than perfect tarmac which basically is non existant where i drive ( ie north of Scotland ) and when i tried to lower the damping, the car then felt worse, it was more comfortable but it felt wierd like it was under damped for the springs, I´m not sure if that was what i was feeling tbh as i´m in no way an expert
Anyway I´ve come to the conclusion lowering springs are really all i need because as you say, i need some driver training before i can be confident enough/able to exploit the cars limits...

I ran my teins at full damping stiffness with R888s and bucket seats.
Wow, that must have been ridiculously uncomfortable!
[/quote]

Funny eh Loftust how we have a few on here who think Coilys are a wee too harsh for our crappy UK roads

Old 04-28-2012, 04:02 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by tailhappy
Funny eh Loftust how we have a few on here who think Coilys are a wee too harsh for our crappy UK roads

Some, but not all coilovers are.

As I said above, it's subjective. One person's "teeth rattlingly uncomfortable" is another's "fidgety pointy car that likes to turn in", and that's OK.

No-one "needs" coilovers for the road as the OEM setup is very good indeed. Some people may prefer something different in terms of feel.

This applies to geo as well. Some people like little caster, and others a lot. Neither is "right".

Plenty of crashes here for cars on OEM as well as on aftermarket coilovers. In the vast majority of cases, crashes were down to the way the cars were being driven and nothing to do with suspension.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:03 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Tailhappy its always good to get the other side of the story, and i dont personally run coilovers but you need to get out more
Old 04-28-2012, 04:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tailhappy
Originally Posted by grandmer' timestamp='1335605379' post='21650692
[quote name='lovegroova' timestamp='1335517627' post='21648087']
[quote name='s2konroids' timestamp='1335443034' post='21644684']

Thanks.

I could some it up by meaning 'stability' and 'handling', for example on a bumpy B road you can have an unsettled ride that is fidgety and tends to bounce and be unresponsive and also has a vacant feel thus typically doesn't corner/handle well.

I believed that in some instances, some coilovers could exacerbate the above which for me is undesirable but i guess its the geo as much as the coil-overs, not that clued on suspension that much TBH.
One of the jobs of the suspension is to keep the wheels in contact with the road surface. If the springing and damping is unable to do this on a bumpy road (certainly the case with my Gaz setup, and also on the TEIN setup I mentioned above) then you're unable to steer or put the power down properly and things get scary quickly. In addition, things tend to be uncomfortable on "average" roads too.

On a smooth track, this isn't so much of a problem, so you can have stiff springs and little damping for reduced roll.

Geo will improve whatever you have, but it can't make up for an overly stiff setup, which I think many of the aftermarket coilovers do have.

If you can, I'd suggest having some passenger rides/drives of various cars equipped with different coilovers and see what you think.

Coilovers won't in general make your significantly faster than one with an OEM setup - that much is obvious from the Car Limits days where the fastest cars are often those with the fewest modifications (bar those with huge power). i.e. the driver is by far the largest factor in the equation.
I had BC Racing Coilovers before but decided to sell them because of this, the car felt uncomfortable on anything less than perfect tarmac which basically is non existant where i drive ( ie north of Scotland ) and when i tried to lower the damping, the car then felt worse, it was more comfortable but it felt wierd like it was under damped for the springs, I´m not sure if that was what i was feeling tbh as i´m in no way an expert
Anyway I´ve come to the conclusion lowering springs are really all i need because as you say, i need some driver training before i can be confident enough/able to exploit the cars limits...

I ran my teins at full damping stiffness with R888s and bucket seats.
Wow, that must have been ridiculously uncomfortable!
[/quote]

[/quote]

Funny how more people are saying its a good thing to do...

Many > a few
Old 04-28-2012, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by s2konroids
but you need to get out more
PMSL says the man with 16,000 posts . You must live on here!

Do you ever drive your S2k with all your posting
Old 04-28-2012, 10:10 AM

Received 655 Likes on 570 Posts

I've decided to take the plunge, i'll post thoughts in a few weeks when its done

What i will say is that my 2001 suspension feels tired and springs are unlikely to resolve that
Old 04-28-2012, 10:12 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What did you go for?
Old 04-28-2012, 10:21 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Look it's simple:

All you need to do is what I did to my pretend Golf GTi when I was 19; Fit lowered springs on standard shocks...then fit clamps to make them to make them even lower!
(This does mean that they 'pop out' sometimes when going over bumpy roads)
Old 04-28-2012, 10:23 AM

And what spring rates if you go for aftermarket coilovers?

I know a lot of people go for 10kg front and rear (on BCs anyway), although after reading this thread and taking on board the extremes of opinions, it would appear that perhaps softer springs and stiffer damping would achieve the lower height, improved handling and not induce too much skittish characteristics on bumpy b roads??
Old 04-28-2012, 11:01 AM

Received 655 Likes on 570 Posts

Originally Posted by WinFreak
What did you go for?
The Meisters from Dixon. Going to get the bushes replaced at the same time.

Quick Reply: Coilovers