UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Coilovers

Old 04-27-2012, 10:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PedroHicken
I have no issues with the handling or ability of the oem setup, it's just simply a matter of minimising that arch gap.
Crazy! I remember a young ex forum member who had it all slammed and braced. Looked way to low but he had to have the look (along with a super loud ividia). Wrote it off in the wet. Take heed. It may look "good" with the wheels filling the arches but you will wreck the cars handling and feel. Sure it will all feel direct and tight in the dry but the wet requires softer damping as he found out coming onto the M56 when snap he & his (now ex) girlfirend where catapulted into the guard rail. Yet another S2k written off.

Maybe I'm getting old but I've grown out of all that filling the arches crap. Give me 16" little rims with quality feel and handling any day

Oh and always keep 3 mm or more on the rears
Old 04-27-2012, 11:38 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by adz9
Originally Posted by s2k4tony' timestamp='1335446307' post='21644797
[quote name='tailhappy' timestamp='1335445757' post='21644774']
[quote name='WinFreak' timestamp='1335425122' post='21644451']
And then there's the fact it's been designed for the mass market, to try and please everybody, everywhere.
No thats why they did all the later revisions like the Mk2 MR2 to tame the handling to make it idiot proof. The original setup is fine if you can drive.

The Gan San put it round the ring in a low 8 minute which is plenty quick enough for me. The car feels spot on for the road (wet or dry). Fitting coilovers for the road is complete nonsense.
[/quote]

GanSan personally told me coilovers ROCK, and that if he had an S2000 instead of his NSX-R, he would definitely have coilovers on it, probably Ebay Racelands or D2 Racing as they are the best makes*.

(I'm the ugly one stood to his left). The guy is an absolute legend!

On a serious note:

I have Meister S on my MX5 and I am pretty happy with them. I still haven't read a bad review on the Meisters for the S2000 either. I think I am going to look for some Buddyclub N+ when I upgrade my suspension in a month or too. I had Buddyclub RS on my last S2000 and cannot rate them well enough. I loved them, I just cannot afford them now! My first S2000 had PSS9 and although I liked them, the ride didnt seem as controlled as the Buddyclub. I guess lots of it is personal preference.

Coilovers serve a purpose, to offer adjustable dampening and height. Those saying they are overkill on a road car obviously have never had coilovers. They take away the horrible arch gap, which looks better and many of them nowadays still offer OEM or better ride quality. Then if you do a track day or two, or have a B road blast, you can adjust the dampening to stiffen up the ride in a matter of minutes.
Why is anything wrong with that and how is it not an improvement on 10 year old OEM suspension? How is that making the car 'too hardcore' for road? It just gives you options.

*The Japanese to English translation could have been wrong....
[/quote]

Great reply Adz
Old 04-27-2012, 11:46 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I think coilovers are often very compromised on road cars.

Example. I had an Exige S once upon a time. You would think it had the best suspension in the world, until you tried a set of 2 way Ohlins on it. They improved the ride quality so mcuh my Doris even noticed it. Much less crashy - just better damping. But what amazed me was they really cut down the chassis roll too, and made the car handle waaaaaaaaaaaaay better on track. Astonishing.

Same applies to the S2000 imo.

But I do quite like the OEM stuff on the road.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:44 PM

This thread is funny! I ran my teins at full damping stiffness with R888s and bucket seats.

Of the 5000 miles I did in that configuration, I came across one road where things got a bit floaty.

Otherwise, they were bloody fantastic.

Depends what you like I suppose - I prefer a fidgety pointy car that likes to turn in and I'll sort the rest out if it happens.

Others like to waft along and take in the scenery.

Nothing wrong with either and no one is a twat
Old 04-27-2012, 02:09 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by s2k4tony
I'll bet none of those "upgraders" would ever admit wasting £800 on a "better" coilover kit. Skittery ride and firming up IMO ruins the car's characteristics. Indeed, the owner may opt for a more harsh ride, enjoying the bumpy B roads just to get more grip (but I would say far less "feel").
Its the "feel" that can save your butt, time after time you hear about "another" crash... I wonder if there's any connection with losing touch with the car's balance, losing that added OEM feel.
Its a very interesting subject in all honesty, and its simple physics / geometry. Tyres being also the critical focus. I had no idea that £2k was for OEM coil's, that's bizarrely overpriced!
I have been around here for a while.
All crashes I have read about on here are in oem cars with oem geo.
thats a fact, not heresay.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 04-27-2012, 04:53 PM
MIP

I've got KWv3's myself:

I've got them at a fairly soft setting with quick rebound, which seems pretty good for road and track. Near OEM comfort, but alot less body roll. I'd say it definatly handles better: on track. I've got the height where it'll get over most bumps ok, and it looks about right I think:

Old 04-27-2012, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by WinFreak
Ok, so if I say I think tailhappy is a twat, that's ok?
I guessed I must have pressed a nerve there

Love a bit of name calling

Anyway lets agree to disagree. Whilst I draw breath and have another track car, I won't be needing to fill my arches to trash the road setup of my S2000. Will just enjoy the perfectly fine geo'd handling as it is and laugh at all the chavs on here slamming their motors so they "look" good whilst compromising the car's ride quality .
Old 04-28-2012, 12:23 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's HOW someone has setup their S, not because they have fitted aftermarket coilovers

My S was at a very sensible height. We're not all hellagash chav you know.

The board says you were posting at 0545!!! The phrase 'WTF' comes to mind!
Old 04-28-2012, 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by lovegroova
Originally Posted by s2konroids' timestamp='1335443034' post='21644684

Thanks.

I could some it up by meaning 'stability' and 'handling', for example on a bumpy B road you can have an unsettled ride that is fidgety and tends to bounce and be unresponsive and also has a vacant feel thus typically doesn't corner/handle well.

I believed that in some instances, some coilovers could exacerbate the above which for me is undesirable but i guess its the geo as much as the coil-overs, not that clued on suspension that much TBH.
One of the jobs of the suspension is to keep the wheels in contact with the road surface. If the springing and damping is unable to do this on a bumpy road (certainly the case with my Gaz setup, and also on the TEIN setup I mentioned above) then you're unable to steer or put the power down properly and things get scary quickly. In addition, things tend to be uncomfortable on "average" roads too.

On a smooth track, this isn't so much of a problem, so you can have stiff springs and little damping for reduced roll.

Geo will improve whatever you have, but it can't make up for an overly stiff setup, which I think many of the aftermarket coilovers do have.

If you can, I'd suggest having some passenger rides/drives of various cars equipped with different coilovers and see what you think.

Coilovers won't in general make your significantly faster than one with an OEM setup - that much is obvious from the Car Limits days where the fastest cars are often those with the fewest modifications (bar those with huge power). i.e. the driver is by far the largest factor in the equation.
I had BC Racing Coilovers before but decided to sell them because of this, the car felt uncomfortable on anything less than perfect tarmac which basically is non existant where i drive ( ie north of Scotland ) and when i tried to lower the damping, the car then felt worse, it was more comfortable but it felt wierd like it was under damped for the springs, I´m not sure if that was what i was feeling tbh as i´m in no way an expert
Anyway I´ve come to the conclusion lowering springs are really all i need because as you say, i need some driver training before i can be confident enough/able to exploit the cars limits...

I ran my teins at full damping stiffness with R888s and bucket seats.
Wow, that must have been ridiculously uncomfortable!

Quick Reply: Coilovers