UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Coilover set up

Old 09-11-2009, 12:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Coilover set up

I know it depends on parts manufacturer, preferences and what handling charicteristics you want to achieve, but broadly speaking how have people set up their adjustable dampers?

After a few weeks of experimenting, my car feels better with the rear dampers set a bit stiffer than the front. The extra complaince at the front seems to help steering feel and reduces understeer, whereas the stiffer set up at the rear to stop any wallowing over bumps seems to make it grip harder.

It's not a huge difference front to rear (3-4 clicks on my BC coilovers), but I'm just a bit worried that I'm asking for some sudden snap oversteer issues with the rear being stiffer. That said, BC spec the rear springs 2kg/mm harder than the fronts, so maybe it's reasonable for the damping to feel better with a bit of rear bias.

Anyone got any thoughts?
Old 09-11-2009, 01:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tend to set the rear stiffer than the front on track as it makes the car turn in better (entry oversteer) and has more traction on the exits (exit understeer). On the road I keep them the same.

But YMMV.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How are you finding the BC's FB?
Old 09-11-2009, 02:38 PM

I've got BC Racing...

but 10kg all round...

Got the rear set to 25 from soft (4 from full hard), got front set to 23 from soft (7 from hard)...

got 1.5 neg camber on front, 2.5 degree neg camer on the rear.

Got the car lowered quite a bit.

Seems good.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:53 PM

At what height F/R do you guys run? I have seen setups with the front lower than the rear, setups with equal height and the Italians that i was talking with in the Euromeet prefered to have the rear lower about 2cm.
Old 09-11-2009, 04:38 PM

currently the rear of my car sits a lot lower than the front of my car, but I'm going to raise it up as it rubs the underneathe on speed humps...

Old 09-11-2009, 05:16 PM

I know several of the German and Lux S2000 drivers swear by at least 10mm lower on the rear. Having recently tried to follow a car with this set up and being left by kilometres in minutes, I can see the benefits. I'm hoping to get my set up adjusted soon to something along the same lines.
Old 09-12-2009, 12:06 AM

Paul are you going to make it equal to both ends now?

There are two problems with the rear being lower. First is aerodynamics. When you drive at speed lift is generated from the air going under the car. The other issue is the if the tarmac is not in good condition, as in Greece, you are going to have MASSIVE understeer with this setup.
Old 09-12-2009, 12:12 AM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by leftfootbraking,Sep 12 2009, 02:16 AM
I know several of the German and Lux S2000 drivers swear by at least 10mm lower on the rear. Having recently tried to follow a car with this set up and being left by kilometres in minutes, I can see the benefits. I'm hoping to get my set up adjusted soon to something along the same lines.
Everything I've read and been told points to the opposite! Weight transfer when braking was one of the main reasons.

Would you care to explain abit more about the benefits of that setup?
Old 09-12-2009, 12:32 AM

Rear should be higher the front for the S. Not majorly, but definitely a few mm.

As for damping, I run Tein Monoflex and have them on max damping settings

Quick Reply: Coilover set up