UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.
View Poll Results: My car had a clutch replaced under warranty the MY is
25.00%
37.50%
0%
0%
12.50%
25.00%
0%
0%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Clutch warranty

Old 08-03-2004, 07:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch warranty

I received a reply from HUK on Saturday regarding my worn clutch, they have basically said that the clutch is not covered under warranty. 2 years old and 15,600 miles.

Now i need the forums help to work out who's had warranty work done on clutches and what year the car was.

This is a problem that does not only affect me but all owners new and old so your input would help everyone.

Honda's rubbish reply.

" i'm sorry to hear that your clutch is worn, and that you're disappointed with the longevity of this part. As you've already been advised, the clutch is not covered under the manufactures warranty as it's considered to be a wear and tear item. The life span of clutch will predominantly depend on road conditions, driving style and usage which is why, like most vehicle manufactures, we don't include the clutch as a warrantable item."

"Our dealers will always inspect a clutch to rule out the possibility of a manufacturing defect. When damage is caused to the clutch through wear and tear, it is fairly obvious when looking at the clutch plate itself. Because of this, we can confidently rule out a defect and you will be charged for the clutch to be replaced."

Your input would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Philip.
Old 08-03-2004, 07:42 AM

Not much help, but I've just had to have the clutch AND Flywheel replaced after 35000 miles... Wear... Therefore, Not Covered on warranty.

I was getting ready to send HUK a letter but it sounds like I wont get very far.

I thought 35000 was bad but 15600 is just pish.
Old 08-03-2004, 08:03 AM

Fletch,

this is why i wanted to get some feedback from the forum. It is not right that our cars cannot handle the use they get and that Honda then turn round and say it's not covered under the warranty bo***cks due top wear and tear road conditions or the driver !.

Christ, a cars clutch should last 50-60K no problem and as for a flywheel well i've never known a car needing to have it replaced.
If you buy an M3,M5 Z3,Z4, Focus RS, Boxster, Impreza Etc would you expect them to give up the ghost from 15k-36k? personally i think not, and it pis*** me off that HUK just wash their hands with it.

The cheek to say wear and tear is just a cop out, i've been a member of this board for nearly 3 years now and the majority of complaints are either gearboxes or clutch. it appears Honda have never got the design right.

Philip.
Old 08-03-2004, 08:23 AM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

72,000 and still going strong. No replacement clutch for me yet. I dont expect to be able to get mine under War when it goes though.

Philip - you've ben on the board 3yrs 2 days!! Happy birthday belated!
Old 08-03-2004, 08:31 AM

One option you have is to use the opportunity to upgrade to an aftermarket clutch, doesn't solve the problem with HUK but may prevent it from going so soon in the future.
Old 08-03-2004, 08:35 AM

Jeeez - on 15kish, I'll be on 1-2 clutches a year !!!!!!!!!!

That is downright ridiculous.
Old 08-03-2004, 08:47 AM

"One option you have is to use the opportunity to upgrade to an aftermarket clutch, doesn't solve the problem with HUK but may prevent it from going so soon in the future. "

Very true and if i don't get any joy after trying all avenues open to me then i may look into it and install it myself.

The thing is i truly love my car, and was thinking about buying an 05 but if HUK treat me like this after 15k then i'm not sure i'll bother.

As customers we really should'nt have these problems with our cars, i'm hoping that the majority of forum members will use the poll to give us all an idea of how big this problem has been. If it turns out that the percentages are small then i've been unlucky, it would be nice at some point to have an indepth poll of warranty issues but i suspect that is quite a big job.

Cheers

Philip.

Old 08-03-2004, 08:55 AM

I am on my 3rd clutch. replaced under warranty at 27K
Old 08-03-2004, 09:00 AM
MrV

Phill have you thought of giveing your local tradeing standards a call ,their pretty good when it comes to things like this ,as you say a clutch should when used under normal condition last a lot longer than 15k ,if you can be arsed to get into the endless exchangeing of letters with HUK Id say go for their throat

If youve been constantly launching the car at 6.5k and doing endless doughnuts though I'd forget it
Old 08-03-2004, 09:22 AM

I had mine replaced under warranty after about 13k miles.

Then after another c. 1000 miles it went again, I ended up taking it to another dealer, and I had another clutch.

So I am on 3rd clutch, 15,500 miles, all under warranty. Sounds like I was either very lucky, or they spotted some kind of manufacturing defect that they didn't tell me about.

Quick Reply: Clutch warranty