UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Clutch Vibration - not clutch buzz

Old 09-03-2014, 12:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BenRNBP
It's in the back half of the gearbox - the bit that the propshaft bolts to https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/691...g-replacement/

Although that appears to be described as a whine rather than a buzz
Anything that makes it an all round quieter ride would be welcomed :-)
Old 09-03-2014, 01:05 PM

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

I'd start with the easy things rather than the gearbox - valve clearances will be a good start, then you'll be able to hear the injectors clacking away so run some decent injector cleaner through. Give the idle and tensioner pulley bearings a wiggle (after slacking the belt off and removing) if they wiggle get some new bearings in there. This along with some fresh oil and you'll be well on your way to reducing the typical S2000 "bag of nails" engine characteristics
Old 09-03-2014, 01:09 PM

I'd start with the easy things rather than the gearbox - valve clearances will be a good start, then you'll be able to hear the injectors clacking away so run some decent injector cleaner through. Give the idle and tensioner pulley bearings a wiggle (after slacking the belt off and removing) if they wiggle get some new bearings in there. This along with some fresh oil and you'll be well on your way to reducing the typical S2000 "bag of nails" engine characteristics
Brilliant, thanks for your help Ben :-)

In all honesty I could live with most of the noises. What gets me is when you've just spent a large whack of cash on a motor, take a mate out in it and they say "corrrr, sounds a bit ropey doesn't it?" Lol
Old 09-03-2014, 01:16 PM

It's taken me two years to get rid of the noises that shouldn't be there, they don't have to sound like a bag of nails. For info I looked at my clutch after a recent change and did have two quite loose rattly springs but I can't say I noticed clutch buzz from them. My biggest noise issue came from the honeycomb in the catalytic converter coming adrift - that sounded like all sorts of things before I got to the bottom of it and replaced it.
Old 09-03-2014, 01:25 PM

It's taken me two years to get rid of the noises that shouldn't be there, they don't have to sound like a bag of nails. For info I looked at my clutch after a recent change and did have two quite loose rattly springs but I can't say I noticed clutch buzz from them. My biggest noise issue came from the honeycomb in the catalytic converter coming adrift - that sounded like all sorts of things before I got to the bottom of it and replaced it.
I've definitely got the dreaded buzz, however the vibration that I posted about didn't seem normal however it looks as though it may just be something you have to learn to love.

Have you ever had your clutch replaced? I would love to get mine done, as I'm sure it'll need doing within the next 10k anyways, but worried about finding a decent mechanic to do it. Having read the forum it can be a bugger to do.

I plan on making a list of common noises and their resolutions and working my way down it :-)
Old 09-03-2014, 01:51 PM

Have put a couple of pics on now to appease fellow forum users. She's terribly dirty at present and you'll have to excuse the mrs sat in it thinking she's a race driver
Old 09-03-2014, 10:58 PM

Yep, had my clutch replaced a few weeks ago as I thought it was on its way out (it wasn't), but it's a much smoother action and the bite point isn't right at the top of travel.

I definitely don't have a vibration through the clutch pedal - I tried to find one on my way to work this morning using the whole rev range.

If you are looking for a list jobs to do you won't be disappointed Seems like you have enough lined up already but in case you want another - you might want to check your clutch slave rod for a nipple that wears into the end too (like this https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/370...-clutch-pedal/ )
Old 09-03-2014, 11:15 PM

Yep, had my clutch replaced a few weeks ago as I thought it was on its way out (it wasn't), but it's a much smoother action and the bite point isn't right at the top of travel.

I definitely don't have a vibration through the clutch pedal - I tried to find one on my way to work this morning using the whole rev range.

If you are looking for a list jobs to do you won't be disappointed Seems like you have enough lined up already but in case you want another - you might want to check your clutch slave rod for a nipple that wears into the end too (like this https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/370...-clutch-pedal/ )
What miles were you on when you had it changed? I wondered if my clutch may be going as the bite point is high and the pedal stiff, although from reading on here and what you've just posted it may just be a few hours DIY to get it feeling smoother. Thanks for that.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:30 PM

I'm just coming up to 62K but there was meat left of the friction disc and probably didn't need doing (I misread the symptoms), but it's all down how it's been driven really - if someone has been doing "racing gear changes" then it'll have a much shorter life.

Consider checking and changing the clutch fluid too, it'll probably be grey and it's meant to be the normal brake fluid colour.
Old 09-04-2014, 12:47 AM

I'm just coming up to 62K but there was meat left of the friction disc and probably didn't need doing (I misread the symptoms), but it's all down how it's been driven really - if someone has been doing "racing gear changes" then it'll have a much shorter life.

Consider checking and changing the clutch fluid too, it'll probably be grey and it's meant to be the normal brake fluid colour.
I may have been doing some 'racing gear changes' on the way to work this morning. In the 10 days or so I've owned the car, this morning's drive in was the most fun I've had yet! Such a pleasure and not sure the smile's left my face yet either.

I'm coming up to 62k now. Clutch isn't slipping or anything, just a high bite point and stiff clutch... maybe remedied by your suggestions.

I will definitely look into all the things you've mentioned mate. Thanks for your help, and everyone else too, it is much appreciated.

Quick Reply: Clutch Vibration - not clutch buzz