UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Clutch Vibration - not clutch buzz

Old 09-03-2014, 12:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Vibration - not clutch buzz

Hi all

Ok, so I've recently bought my S2000 and absolutely love it. Genuine head turner and goes well - a real joy to drive.

However... Whether I'm just hyper paranoid because it's now the most expensive item I've ever bought, or perhaps I've genuinely been sold an absolute dud, I'm not sure.

Occasionally, usually when the revs are around the 4k mark and especially when downshifting, a gear change will be met with a vibration in the clutch pedal after in engages again and a brief noise that would most closely replicate the sound of driving over a rumble strip for about a second. It can be worked around by slowing the release of the clutch pedal which allows the revs time to drop.

If anyone knows why this may be happening, or what I am doing wrong, I'd be really grateful for any advice.

Thanks

Craig
Old 09-03-2014, 12:13 PM

I think that sounds perfectly normal for an S2000 to me. The S is quite a noisy, mechanical sounding car, it takes a while to get used to all of it's nuances .... maybe I am wrong
Old 09-03-2014, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by s2k_Nut
I think that sounds perfectly normal for an S2000 to me. The S is quite a noisy, mechanical sounding car, it takes a while to get used to all of it's nuances .... maybe I am wrong
Ok thanks mate. It may just be me being paranoid and not having had a car like this before I'm probably not used to the knocks and noises.

I will make a video or audio clip though and post that ASAP for anyone to have a listen to. If it is a common noise then hopefully it can help new owners that are paranoid like myself may do it after the footy actually lol

Thanks again.
Old 09-03-2014, 12:18 PM

... and also where are the damn pics of your new purchase hmmm?
Old 09-03-2014, 12:20 PM

I've only owned it just over a week and haven't had a chance to clean it thoroughly yet. Judging by some of the beauties on here I'd be shot down I'm a flame of shame immediately
Old 09-03-2014, 12:23 PM

Received 254 Likes on 219 Posts

Both my cars have had a vibration up through the clutch pedal just on the bite point, u8sed and abused and not failed yet so I reckon as sais all normal.
Pics are good and required here, before and after cleaning is good.
Old 09-03-2014, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by CraigScho
Originally Posted by s2k_Nut' timestamp='1409775489' post='23314449
I've only owned it just over a week and haven't had a chance to clean it thoroughly yet. Judging by some of the beauties on here I'd be shot down I'm a flame of shame immediately
You would not ! ... we love pics, pics or ban I say
Old 09-03-2014, 12:31 PM

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

Mine has sounded a whole lot quieter since I replaced my idler pulley bearing for the v-belt - before that it did have a weird buzzy harmonic in places on the rev range. For your 2001 maybe the output shaft bearings are in need of a replacement - quite a few people have replaced to great effect.
Old 09-03-2014, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by martin j
Both my cars have had a vibration up through the clutch pedal just on the bite point, u8sed and abused and not failed yet so I reckon as sais all normal.
Pics are good and required here, before and after cleaning is good.
In that case I shall find a little beauty spot for her to pose in and take a few snaps :-)

Originally Posted by CraigScho' timestamp='1409775605' post='23314454
[quote name='s2k_Nut' timestamp='1409775489' post='23314449']
You would not ! ... we love pics, pics or ban I say
[/quote]

Well, we are strict here hey lol. As above, I'll get some taken and do a before and after :-)

Originally Posted by BenRNBP
Mine has sounded a whole lot quieter since I replaced my idler pulley bearing for the v-belt - before that it did have a weird buzzy harmonic in places on the rev range. For your 2001 maybe the output shaft bearings are in need of a replacement - quite a few people have replaced to great effect.
You'll have to really excuse my ignorance but I'm not overly mechanical - civil engineer by trade - what is the output shaft? Is that the prop shaft?

I intend on getting oil the oil/fluids changed soon, gear selector greased up nicely as slightly notchy into third and then I guess whatever is necessary to have her running as smooth as possible.
Old 09-03-2014, 12:49 PM

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

It's in the back half of the gearbox - the bit that the propshaft bolts to https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/691...g-replacement/

Although that appears to be described as a whine rather than a buzz

Quick Reply: Clutch Vibration - not clutch buzz