UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Clutch question

Old 09-15-2011, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch question

Hello all.

Hope no one minds I posted this question in the general under the hood section of the site but homegrown answers and suggestions are always more welcome!

I've run a search but can't find anything that seems to suit my problem.

I've had my S2000 for 3 months now and I'm slightly concerned by the clutch.

I have a very high bite point and almost no feel from the pedal, all this point towards a worn out clutch.

However the clutch has never slipped even when provoked.

The car is a 2002 with 55000 miles, as far as I can tell the clutch fluid has never been changed so I plan on doing this tomorrow, along with greasing the slave cylinder.

In my opinion that's very low mileage for a clutch but I've seen many members talking of significantly lower mileages, so I'm prepared for the worst.

Once the fluid is changed should it need it I was then going to adjust the clutch pedal as per the manual.

Is this a wise course of action or do I need to bite the bullet and admit the clutch is dead?

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it isnt broke dont fix it.It might be on its way out but if it isnt slipping then use it untill it does.I suspect a new clutch is going to cost around £500 fitted.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:12 PM

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

There is no 'good' or 'bad' mileage for a clutch to go, it's all down to how the car has been driven obviously, it's fairly average I'd say!

With that said, get some good DOT4 into the clutch system, (the reservoir empire faster than you think!) and if you have long fingers you should be able to get plenty of grease into the fork mechanism. Undo and move the slave, dont let it hang obviously, pull the fork outward away from the box and try to grease the lever pin in the centre of the fork and get a good covering on the contact fingers at the end ( a real stretch!).

Then, pull the slave pin and dust boot, sand off any 'nipple' that has formed on the fork contact end of the pin. Clean up, plenty of grease on all moving/contact parts and reassemble.

You might wanna check for any dampness around the clutch pedal on the inside, just to rule a leaky master cylinder out of your 'high bite point' woes.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:33 PM

Cheers guys, I'm hoping a good fluid change will sort the problem.
Out of interest new clutch.....£500?? Have i missed something? I've only seen the parts for £500, plus around 6 hours labour?
Going to sort the fluid over the weekend fingers crossed!
Old 09-15-2011, 10:49 PM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

The bite point is unusualy high on the S so don't worry. When you grease the slave clean up the ball and socket, there may be a nipple like bit on the end of the ball, grind this off and polish(grinding paste is good)both surfaces to a shine, regrease with ultra high temp grease, copper slip will do and try to get some grease up on the fork where the two prongs meet the clutch, there is a how to thread with pictures if you search. If you can do this the clutch will feel better, smoother and will operate quieter.
When you adjust the play be careful not to over do it as you can leave it like it's riding the clutch, again there are instructions on here.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by mr-pitts
If it isnt broke dont fix it.It might be on its way out but if it isnt slipping then use it untill it does.I suspect a new clutch is going to cost around £500 fitted.

£500 isn't too far from the truth. The cheapest I could find an OEM clutch kit was £380. Add on 5 hours labour and it's more like £600
Old 09-16-2011, 05:21 AM

I'd expect to pay more like £750 for a genuine Honda fitted clutch.

Mine isn't slipping but the pedal is heavy and the gearbox is much harder work than it used to be. Going to get mine done after the winter hibernation.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:23 AM

My experience (03 model, 60,000 miles) was a mega clutch slip and big burning smell when going from 2nd to 3rd at around 7k rpm. The smell re-appeared when I had to reverse up a steep drive later that day and slipped the clutch just a little. Took it into my local Honda dealership where they could not repeat the problem routinely (just once, they said) but they heard a rattling noise from the release bearing. We decided that the best option was to change the thrust bearing anyway, and while they were at it, to fit a new clutch. I suspect that a good grease-up as above would have solved the problem of intermittent sticking on release. The bill for the new clutch kit was £380+VAT (that represents a 15% discount on list) and the total bill for the work was £926 inc VAT. Clutch is a lot lighter now, as is my wallet.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:04 AM

I put a CC stage 2 in mine and it was £500 in total,I suspect you could use that as a price from,wish people would stop using the word nipple.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:19 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by mr-pitts
I put a CC stage 2 in mine and it was £500 in total,I suspect you could use that as a price from,wish people would stop using the word nipple.
Lactiferous duct

Quick Reply: Clutch question