UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Clutch Problems?

Old 10-02-2005, 03:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Problems?

Hi all,

Been driving recently and finding it increasingly difficult to change gear at high rev's even when the box is nice and worn e.g 8k-9k 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th

Occasionally it grinds as well. The main thing that I have noticed is just that its not 'slick' anymore and I have to use more effort to change gears.

At low revs and at slower speeds it seems less notchy and easy to use.

I have got the car booked in to my dealer on Tuesday so I will have to wait and see, but its always good to go in 'armed' with more info should I need it.

Not bothered if it needs a new clutch as the car is leased, just don't want to lose it for any extended amount of time
Old 10-02-2005, 03:19 AM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Drive in 6th at a normal speed (30-50) and slam the rev's on, if the rev's go up quick but the speed doesn't then it's worn.
Old 10-02-2005, 03:29 AM
MrV

Do you want the good or the bad news

From what you are describing it doesn't sound like the clutch as Ade said they normally start to slip first

Bad news I had the same problems a couple of years ago ,it started with 5th to 6th being notchy then moved on to some times just being nigh on impossible to get into 6th at all.Later 1st and 2nd started to get notchy too ,
The final out come ended in a new gearbox being fitted as some of the syncromeshes had given up the ghost

Fingers crossed this is not what is happening to yours
Old 10-03-2005, 12:09 AM

Thanks for the help guys. Gives me a little more info to go into the dealer with. I had been doubting it was the clutch yesterday and wondering about the gearbox.

Oh well, I will wait and see tomorrow.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:17 AM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Wouldn't be anything to do with Santa pod would it moff?
Old 10-04-2005, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by AquilaEagle,Oct 3 2005, 07:17 PM
Wouldn't be anything to do with Santa pod would it moff?
Santa what?

Seriously though, I have only ever done 4 runs at Santa Pod, and I never side step. That's not to say that I haven't done any traffic light grand prix's

My daily drive to work, stuck in traffic for 40 mins to and from Nottingham does not really help my poor car Oh well, its in today so should find out the outcome this afternoon. I just want it fixed, its really annoying (and dangerous) when you hit 8-9k rpm mid overtake, go to change gear and it doesn't go!
Old 10-04-2005, 12:56 AM

When was the gearbox oil last changed?
Old 10-04-2005, 01:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

worth a try

So thats 4 santa pods, 2 1st Lotus
Any other "experiences" you would like to apologise to the clutch and gearbox for
Old 10-04-2005, 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by mikey k,Oct 4 2005, 09:53 AM
worth a try

So thats 4 santa pods, 2 1st Lotus
Any other "experiences" you would like to apologise to the clutch and gearbox for
My car likes to be 'worked' fully...

As for the gearbox oil I have no idea. The car is serviced on the dot at every interval. If it is just the gearbox oil I will be a happy man as its a simple job.

:moffcross'sfingers:

The higher the revs the notchier it gets to point of 8-9k and its very hard to get it in gear. I tried the 5th gear low speed thing and got no clutch slip at all.
Old 10-04-2005, 02:45 AM

Definitely sounds like the gearbox rather than clutch, my clutch is being changed now. Started out slipping after changing gear, when it went in yesterday it was slipping under any VTEC acceleration.

Quick Reply: Clutch Problems?