UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Clutch probem

Old 05-30-2006, 07:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch probem

Hi, just wondering if anyone has had the problem i'm having with the clutch on my MY02 19000mile s2. During driving most of the time i'm getting a vibration through the pedals, most noticably the clutch pedal, this vibration is engine speed related and most noticable whilst changing up and down the gears and giving it some vtec. The first time I noticed it was when decelerating and changing down, if you were using a lot of engine braking it would vibrate a lot, kind of like the engine was moving on it's mounts and the clutch cable if it had one was catching on something. Now it's doing it most of the time but still worse when using a lot of engine braking. The funny thing is sometimes it's just perfectly smooth as if there isn't a problem.
I've checked the engine mounts for fluid loss, checked for anything that could be loose or catching and can't see anything wrong.
I.ve read about the 'Clutch Buzz' problem and don't think thats it, my car should have the 055 anyway shouldn't it?
Was thinking of fitting a new clutch but don't want to fork out my hard earned unnecessarily.

Grateful for any help, Cheers.
Old 05-30-2006, 07:52 AM

You say you feel it through all the pedals most noticable when engine braking.

Do you feel that the clutch is transmitting the vibration into the pedal box or are you just aware that the clutch vibrates more?

Hom much engine braking are we talking? (speed revs gear etc)

From what you say the vibration could be eminating from the drive train. Perhaps a worn UJ somewhere on the prop shaft or a worn CV joint. Can you induce the vibration at all if the car is not moving? (even a tiny amount)

Do you brake while engine braking - could be a warped disc?

I once had this type of problem years ago. Car would shudder uncontrollably when engine braking downhill. Turned out to be a small hole in the exhaust causing resonance.
Old 05-30-2006, 08:08 AM

Engine speed above 3-4k in second say and i'd say it felt like the pedal box, can't feel it anywhere else on the car, it's definitly related to engine speed and not brakes and yes you can feel it most of the time, even when you just rev the engine whilst stationary but most noticably on acceleration and engine braking. the car isn't shuddering or anything as violent as that it's just tingling my foot if you like and making it feel unrefined
Old 05-30-2006, 08:16 AM

My MY03 with 18,500 does it too... after reading many posts ive put it down to paranoia, can you ignore it? I am, wait til it gets worse then change the clutch if needed.

Maybe it is the spiggot bearing / flywheel centre bearing??
Old 05-30-2006, 08:24 AM

Depends what mood i'm in! sometimes it doesn't bother me and sometimes it really hacks me off. Before I bought this one I test drove a MY01 and it was the first thing I noticed when engine braking. I'm a bit gutted about the fact that it only ran out of warranty in Jan though and then decided to do it.

Cheers
Old 05-30-2006, 08:38 AM

Get it on a ramp and swing on the prop shaft see if it shakes..
put a pry bar under each engine mount and see how much they flex (careful, they are hydraulic)

Errm... other than that, as said earlier, check for run-out & Blue spots on discs...

I still think its that spiggot bearing tho...

Does it make a noise on tick over (noise changes with foot down on clutch)???
Old 05-30-2006, 09:05 AM

Ok. I'll try that and get a spigot bearing at the same time as the clutch if I decide to do it, Cheers for your help.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:01 PM

Have at look here

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=368407

Might help... and certainly a lot less hassle than doing the clutch
Old 05-31-2006, 02:33 AM

Ok, thanks i'll try that first.
Old 05-31-2006, 03:06 AM

OK - given you can feel it sometimes when blipping the throttle when not moving you can rule out everything that's not rotating at the time. so UJ's CV's prop shaft are all unlikely to be the culprit.

So this leaves you with Engine and ancillaries, Exhaust system, Gearbox (only the first motion shaft or the layshaft) or the clutch

So,

Exhaust resonance (per my pervious post)
Mis-aligned exhaust just touching something
Out of balance flywheel or chutch (would have to be v slight)
Engine/ gearbox mounts a bit past their best.
Aletenator and or AC compressor out of balance.

Could just be a natural resonant frequency in your car.

I'd get the car up on ramps and check all the cheap things first.

Quick Reply: Clutch probem