UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Clutch Pedal stopper moved & attacked by spanner!

Old 07-27-2010, 04:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

YAAAAAAAAACK....

I'm trying to eat my lunch here!! This thread should come with a warning Surely?!?!
Old 07-27-2010, 05:09 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BradRWills,Jul 27 2010, 01:32 PM
YAAAAAAAAACK....

I'm trying to eat my lunch here!! This thread should come with a warning Surely?!?!
Warning added

Bharat
Old 07-27-2010, 06:14 AM
PHo

lol nexus that is exactly why i DIDNT post pics! cos you woulda just blown me out of the water with them! haha niiiiiiiice!

cupracing: yeh was careful not to do too much, i did it just as it was really feeling resistance, i took about an inch to half an inch or movement out. Also is easier moving my foot from the dead pedal to the clutch without having to lift it right up like im driving a truck
Old 07-27-2010, 06:30 AM

The nut that holds the pushrod is a 12mm.

I find the easiest way to do this adjustment is to sit on the ground outside of the car, and reach your right arm up behind the clutch.

1) get your favorite 12mm open wrench.
2) the nut is gonna be on the pedal side of the push-rod.
3) In order to loosen the nut, you're turning the nut clockwise
4) use a rag to wipe off the existing lube on the push-rod so you can turn the pushrod to absorb slack in the pedal height.
5) a little turn goes a long way.
6) **BE SURE TO TIGHTEN THE NUT** or else the pushrod will gradually get tighter and tighter resulting in massive clutch preload, essentially making your clutch slip under acceleration. At this point you wont be able to turn the pushrod out of the clutch master cylinder.
7a) if you forgot to tighten the nut, and your clutch is already slipping and you feel like you're screwed, dont worry. Release the cotter clip and retaining pin from the clutch/pushrod and it'll all come free.

The pushrod turns infinitely in the CMC, it's the theaded end on the clutch pedal that determines pedal height.

8) make sure to relube the pushrod or you'll start to get some squeaky.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:22 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by PHo,Jul 26 2010, 08:55 PM
Planned on moving the clutch pedal stopper bolt so there was less travel in the pedal to engage the clutch.

Was going well, was inverted in the drivers seat with my two 14mm spanners, a little stiff so i got some oomph behind it and as anyone who has done it will tell you its quite close to your face....anyway spanner slipped and smashed me in the tache area of my face....... ouch

Anyway undid the lockbolt then felt a trickle of something down my face.....brilliant, blood, left a nice spanner shaped blunt stab in my face, quite deep and wide.

BUT cleaned it up and finished the job....WOW, what a difference, clutch feels perfect now, now unnecessary leg movement, just push the pedal and clutch disengages, brilliant. anyone who hasnt done this do it NOW

PS. not posting pictures as will get flamed for my 'fanny hurting' hahaha
I hope you've left a little free play.

You need the free play to allow the clutch release bearing to break contact with the pressure plate.

If the release bearing doesn't break contact it will be permanently spinning and will wear out quickly. Not only that, the pressure applied to by the release bearing will vary as the things heat up etc and you won't get full pressure on the clutch friction plate which will mean it starts to slip.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:27 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

That's what Billman250 told me - the only play you should remove is that between the pedal and the rod, the play between the rod and the master cylinder should remain.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have to be carefull doing this (apart from cracking yourself in the bonce! That looks nasty and I hope it gets better soon!) ... I speak from experience!

If you bring the stopper down too low to take out too much play you end up, after a long spirited drive when the clutch gets hot, making it slip as its not got full pressure to the pressure plate....

I had this problem last week and looked for a solution. I found a very good how to on correct clutch adjustment on Youtube:

Here is how to do it properly. Its made a huge difference to my car. You can jump to around 7 mins if you don't want to know the bumf!
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYJxQyjIhUw [/media]
Old 07-28-2010, 01:57 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by martin j,Jul 26 2010, 09:17 PM
Ta.

I hate them bloody Mercats, every notice at work now has a picture on it and ends "simples"
It is my "annoying internet meme of the week" winner.