UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Clutch pedal to the floor

Old 05-22-2006, 11:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch pedal to the floor

New clutch kit put in a couple of weeks ago, last night the clutch pedal fell to the floor and although I could pull the pedal up with my toe(!) it falls straigh back down again. AA man says that he things the hydraulic hose has burst? Being towed to Honda this am. anyone has experience of this? Getting bored of how many visits this 03 is making to Honda now!
Old 05-22-2006, 11:10 PM
Banned

That's very unusual, but as it's a hydraulic clutch that sounds most likely. Normally a pedal falling to the floor is a snapped clutch cable, but in the S's case, it probably means you have no fluid in the system.

Try and trace the reservoir downwards and see if you notice a leak, if you're feeling adventurous.
Old 05-22-2006, 11:14 PM

Did you change the clutch fluid when you did your new clutch?

Possible that fluid was incompatible and had crackered the seals

From what you describe more likely that there is no fluid in the system due to a leak.

Look in the fluid resevoir.
Old 05-22-2006, 11:24 PM

resevoir was empty when the aa guy and I checked last night, he crawled under her (!) and found a collection of fluid on one of the hoses. So he's guessing the hose is gone, or the cylinder has failed and it's dripped down the hose. Not sure if they changed the fluid with the new clutch. I had to push for a flatbed to tow the car away, but they eventually got one to her. Phoned my man at Honda and he says he thinks it sounds like the slave cylinder...but if that's the case and they change that, will I get the poxy 05/06 one that has the delay valve people are moaning about or is that just the US models?
Old 05-22-2006, 11:40 PM

Could be either cylinder. Your dealer will be able to do a pressure check to isolate the problem. hopefully just a loose or perished hose.
Old 05-23-2006, 12:43 AM
Banned

Key thing is that you've just had work done, it's possible they haven't tightened a hose properly after doing the work. I doubt you would ever get such an admission unless you had a look for yourself first to prove it.
Old 05-23-2006, 12:55 AM

My guess would be the slave cylinder or a loose connection...

A loose connection you would of had a progressive failure but, the slave cylinder seal could of flipped over letting the fluid go straight through interally causing the pedal to drop???

Hmm..... good one this.... keep thinking????
Old 05-23-2006, 01:05 AM

Well, the pedal went to the floor, it seemed to come up a few seconds later, but then it was as if all the fluid had gone and she was pretty much immobilised. I'll let you know what they say, it does seem odd that it comes just after the new clutch kit. Before the new kit went in, the pedal was sqeaky in travel, after the kit went in that had disappeared, but on the am. of the failure I thought I'd heard it again!?
I haev about 7 days left of manufacturer's warranty. I get on quite well with the service manager at Fawcetts so I think I'm going to trust what they say.
Old 05-23-2006, 01:14 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by defiant,May 23 2006, 10:05 AM
I think I'm going to trust what they say.
Old 05-23-2006, 01:55 AM

ok ok, I think I'm going to trust what Jesus says?
nope? Ok, I think I'm going to trust what s2ki say? lol

Quick Reply: Clutch pedal to the floor