UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Clutch pedal down to start, why?

Old 04-10-2015, 01:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clutch pedal down to start, why?

Usually forget to do this. Why do I need to, will it do any damage?
Old 04-10-2015, 01:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't think it does any damage as such, just helps or reduces the stress/workload on one of the components during the start-up process.

Sorry, I'm not very mechanically minded, just know to do it. I only do it when the engine's cold though.
Old 04-10-2015, 01:49 AM

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

If its JDM its to allow the car to start Otherwise its just an old school train of thought, doesn't actually do much nowadays except prevent you from bump starting the car into something else if you left it in gear. I did read that certain heavy duty aftermarket clutchs if not aligned properly can cause damage if engaged.
Old 04-10-2015, 01:51 AM

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

I've never done the clutch down thing on any of my cars but I think it's to help the starter motor and to stop you driving off like a milk float if you've left it in gear.

I'm not sure it's a good thing to do on the S2000 as the crank main thrust bearings are then taking more of the wear at start up.
Old 04-10-2015, 03:17 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,244 Likes on 1,087 Posts

This the universal arrangement with stick shift cars, not just the S2000.

Recommended practice is to leave the car in gear (usually Reverse) when parked. Allowing the engine to start when the car is in gear -- well it doesn't take much imagination about this. Car in neutral would be fine but rigging an interface circuit to the gearbox is much more difficult than the clutch.

I'm sure you can find a way to by-pass this circuit. Remember even minor fender damage can "total" these cars.

-- Chuck
Old 04-10-2015, 04:40 AM

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

We don't have the law/regulations that mandate the "clutch switch" that other parts of the world do. So, depressing the clutch makes sense if you car won't actually let you start it without doing so, but the UK market S2000 doesn't require you to do this (so yes you could accidentally start it in gear and lurch forwards)
Old 04-10-2015, 05:08 AM

I have always done this as I think my Dad or driving instructor told me to always depress the clutch pedal when starting. I never knew this was required in some places in the world. Seems like a good idea to me, kind of a 'Moment' catcher when not thinking clearly. I just wish we could turn off the keys in the ignition alarm warning that I think is required for the USA market?!
Old 04-10-2015, 05:17 AM

Just a matter of habit. I used to work in a car dealership and given how close together the cars were and how half the guys left it in gear / half didn't, saved my embarrassment many times! As the starter motor has to turn over the engine AND the gearbox unless the clutch is pressed - it would seem pointless not doing it. Have you seen the cost of new starter motors lately for the new 'stop/start' generation of cars? Guess they have to be beefed up to cope with starting 10 times a trip rather than 1
Old 04-10-2015, 05:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the replies Guys. In the good old days I was told not to do it, just wondered what was different on this
modern stuff. Habit makes me check gear lever in neutral anyway.
Old 04-10-2015, 05:59 AM

Received 451 Likes on 378 Posts

I never start my cars with the clutch pedal down and I think it will actually cause less wear.

Quick Reply: Clutch pedal down to start, why?