UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Clutch Buzz questions

Old 05-13-2008, 01:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ABP were cheaper than the dealer for my last service and for sourcing some tires to go on my freshly painted wheels... they are pretty knowledgable and when it was serviced told me that the clutch was noisy without me prompting.

So the consenus is a complete clutch, plus the bearings and chassis bolts? And an OEM clutch?
Old 05-13-2008, 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by 2HondaDave,May 13 2008, 10:00 AM
ABP were cheaper than the dealer for my last service and for sourcing some tires to go on my freshly painted wheels... they are pretty knowledgable and when it was serviced told me that the clutch was noisy without me prompting.

So the consenus is a complete clutch, plus the bearings and chassis bolts? And an OEM clutch?
Yep, no skimping as you'll end up doing it again and its an labour intensive job fella.
Old 05-13-2008, 04:22 AM

Cool, ta for that...

now looking for best prices on the parts and calling for a fitting quote!!
Old 05-13-2008, 04:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine was from Blueprint via Chris Franklin (these people I think http://www.blueprint-adl.co.uk/ ). Turned out to have Honda stamped all over it, so it obviously was the Honda OEM clutch without the Honda UK parts price.

I think Chris has fitted a few of those now.

In answer to "Jammy Rex", mine's now got a 2004 gearbox, and if it's any different from my original 99 one I can't tell.
Old 05-13-2008, 04:46 AM

Hi, am I right in thinking that unless the clutch / flywheel are worn, the buzzing problem with the springs is not actually harmful to the car? IOW that it doesn't matter if you leave it? Mine's doing it, but it doesn't seem very intrusive at the moment + it's only at a very specific point on the overrun.

Ta
Old 05-13-2008, 04:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pop monkey,May 13 2008, 01:46 PM
Hi, am I right in thinking that unless the clutch / flywheel are worn, the buzzing problem with the springs is not actually harmful to the car? IOW that it doesn't matter if you leave it? Mine's doing it, but it doesn't seem very intrusive at the moment + it's only at a very specific point on the overrun.
You are right, there's no problem with it. It never bothered me, I only replaced the clutch because I broke the gearbox. IMO it's not worth the money to replace it just to get rid of the buzz.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:03 AM

Well yes but I think there are different degrees of buzz and volume with this problem. My car gradually got worse over a year and eventually became unbearable. The clutch actually vibrates which causes the springs to make the noise they do. The more vibration the louder the noise
Old 05-13-2008, 07:33 AM

I need a new clutch, does Chris Franklin have a set price for changing one?
Old 05-14-2008, 04:49 AM

Mine seems to have 2 'modes' to the vibration too.

The normal buzzing which happens all the time, and as hoppingdeth says gets to be really irritating because the rest of the car is now vibrating in sympathy

The other only happens when I 'give it some' so to speak, and everything gets that bit warmer. It then makes a rather alarming noise, about 100 times louder and with a harsher tone... it's like someone started up a buzz saw under the bonnet and is starting to saw into the paseenger compartment with it!!

No other side effects, everything seems to still be working as it should, no slip, no difficulty changing gears etc etc... so yes in my case it is worth the money for a quieter life!
Old 05-14-2008, 05:18 AM

In my 07 with 3.5k miles I can sometimes feel a very slight vibration through my foot at the top of the clutch travel - is this likely to get worse? I'm not too keen on getting engine work done at this stage of a car's life even if it is under warrenty!

Quick Reply: Clutch Buzz questions