UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Clicking and Surging engine MP3 ADDED

Old 05-08-2009, 02:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clicking and Surging engine MP3 ADDED

http://www.pixelloft.com/car.mp3

I recently fitted a new engine to my s2000. It was an 00 car and i fitted an 07 engine. It was running perfectly for at least a month. (Thanks to the help from people of the forum, we changed the crank and cam pulsers, the rocker cover and inlet manifold/throttle body)

The other day, when i hadn't started it for a couple of days it surged, surged, surged, surged like rev rev rev rev about 1 surge/rev per second.

I thought it was becuase it was out of fuel, but it has started doing this every morning.

If you dab the throttle, it only makes the surging worse.

This is all accompanied by a loud clicking from the engine and the air pump coming on and off like crazy.

If you try to drive the engine has not enough power to move the car.

There is a strong FUEL smell which companies this phenomenal

After anything from 10 secs to a min, it seems to sort itself out.

I thought it might me misfiring even though i have no CEL. I checked the spark plugs which were all new only a month or so ago, and even changed the coilpacks over, and it hasn't fixed it.

Once this problem has passed the car is fine for the day, but comes back the next morning.

I was thinking maybe its the injectors or something fuel related and the clicking could be the ecu switching from lean to rich or something.

Any ideas? I'm really scratching my head.
Old 05-08-2009, 02:37 AM
eho

have you tried to resetting the ECU and do the Idle Learn Procedure?
Old 05-08-2009, 02:39 AM

Thanks, I will try it, but just to be clear this is a VERY VERY pronounced Revving/surging and clicking which incapacitates the car totally.

The other problem is, any test i do, i have to wait untill the following morning to test. Its going to be slow process i think.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:08 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Do you have the old 'richier' ECU still in the car?
Old 05-08-2009, 03:12 AM

yes, the original ecu is in the car. This is why i had to change a few engine components around.

I just disconnected the battery to reset the ecu and turned the ignition on to let it sit for 10 mins (idle learn procedure) which confronted me with some huge loud CLICK CLICK CLICK's combined with the surging and the engine came into line and settled down and is running fine now. I'm sure this problem will be back in the morning.
Old 05-08-2009, 04:03 AM

Could this be caused by my new 07+ engine not having the hole for the air pump (i'm not sure if it does or doesn't but i don't have a CEL). The air pump does go like crazy when all these engine clicks are happening and its surging.

Having said this, surely if that was the case, would it not have had this problem from day one of fitting the engine?

mmmmmmm.
Old 05-11-2009, 03:53 AM

Ive added an MP3 for anyone who wants to hear what this awful noise sounds like.