UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Clicking and clonking from the rear

Old 04-08-2014, 11:48 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Clicking and clonking from the rear

I have noticed a clicking noise when driving over rough uneven roads from the rear passenger wheel area. When I turn left relatively hard I hear a worrying clonking noise from the rear......

I do sometimes get a loud rubbing type noise when going over speed bumps also. I was told to check the headlight adjusting sensor which I took off, cleaned and regreased. This didn't stop the noise unfortunately.

Anyone got any other ideas of the cause? Starting to think I shouldn't be driving it now.....
Old 04-08-2014, 11:59 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wheel nuts incorrectly torqued

One of the nuts that connects the calliper to the carrying bracket has come loose / off causing the calliper to move back and forth - caused mine to clunk like a mofo.

The above is the cheap diagnosis.

Mike
Old 04-08-2014, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by mikefifth
Wheel nuts incorrectly torqued One of the nuts that connects the calliper to the carrying bracket has come loose / off causing the calliper to move back and forth - caused mine to clunk like a mofo. The above is the cheap diagnosis. Mike
I've checked the wheel nuts but will check the caliper. It's recently been replaced by TGM so would hope it was secure but its certainly worth a check over. Thanks
Old 04-10-2014, 08:10 AM

I've checked all the above and currently have the wheel off and looking for the problem but can't seem to find anything.... Anyone have any ideas? Should there be any movement forward and back on the ball joints of the headlight adjuster?
Old 04-10-2014, 08:20 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Childsy
I've checked all the above and currently have the wheel off and looking for the problem but can't seem to find anything.... Anyone have any ideas? Should there be any movement forward and back on the ball joints of the headlight adjuster?
Is it catching anything or is the headlight adjuster moving within its holder making any noise?

If you have the wheel off, try wobbling all the parts you can see
Old 04-10-2014, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by mikefifth
Is it catching anything or is the headlight adjuster moving within its holder making any noise? If you have the wheel off, try wobbling all the parts you can see
Well this is the position it was in originally before I took it off.

I've put it back on in the same position. Doesn't look like it would be catching anything.... Does it look right to you? The top ball joint moves back and forth and there's movement where the top bracket connects to (whatever it connects to!! Lol)
I've tried wobbling most things with the wheel off but everything feels tight.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You haven't had the drop links off recently have you?
Old 04-10-2014, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by AlexGJ248
You haven't had the drop links off recently have you?
No they haven't been off. Could a broken drop link cause the rattling noise over bumpy roads or the occasional clunking when cornering hard?
Old 04-10-2014, 11:41 AM
MIP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Clicking makes me think the hub nut:

https://www.s2ki.com/home/2012/09/21...ow-to-and-why/

Not sure about the clonking, worn ARB bush maybe?
Old 04-10-2014, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by MIP
Clicking makes me think the hub nut: https://www.s2ki.com/home/2012/09/21...ow-to-and-why/ Not sure about the clonking, worn ARB bush maybe?
I did see the hub nut mentioned in a few posts but my symptoms are different. I don't get clicking noises when I pull away or in reverse etc I seem to be getting rattling noises when going over rough/uneven roads, small potholes etc. Sounds like something is loose just can't see what's causing it....

I'll have to get a mechanic look at the bushes as I couldn't see any splits in the bushes.

Quick Reply: Clicking and clonking from the rear