UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

'Click' on VTEC engagement - NO-ONE ELSE?

Old 04-14-2009, 05:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up 'Click' on VTEC engagement - NO-ONE ELSE?

I usually increase throttle input gradually only going past half-throttle once in VTEC. As such, the transition into VTEC is progressive and smooth through 6-6.5K revs.

However, if I put the throttle ALL the way down BEFORE VTEC - and especially in 1st or second when the engine is a bit heat-soaked (after stood in queing traffic) - then the transition to VTEC seems quite sharp at 6.3K revs or so and is sometimes accompanied/signified by a distant but sharp metallic click - kind of as if the VTEC solenoid is a little stuck and then frees up/engages in a split second rather than progressively. (I'm 99% sure that at least one of my other earlier 3 S2000s did this too on a similarly infrequent basis.)

I've done a S2K Forum search and have found a couple of mentions of this - one regarding a (then quite new) S and one for a Civic. The guy with the 07 S commented on his doing it from new and when I PM'd him he said it's now done 30K miles no probs and still sometimes makes the exact same noise under the exact same circumstances as mine. Anyone here experienced/noticed this?? T'would be reassuring to find I'm not the only one here to have noticed this.

(Oil level spot on max mark - the car has hardly used any oil in the 1600 miles covered so far from new.)
Old 04-15-2009, 12:21 AM

Has NO-ONE else ever noticed this then?!?
Old 04-15-2009, 12:34 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I know that on 3rd party ECUs VTEC engagement is based on a number of parameters ....

Throttle position is one of the parameters so it is therefor possible to go above 6500revs without VTEC engaging if on part throttle. (I have my AEM set so that VTEC will not engage unless the car is in boost)

I am not sure if the OEM ECU works in the same way.

Old 08-24-2019, 07:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 98RON
I usually increase throttle input gradually only going past half-throttle once in VTEC. As such, the transition into VTEC is progressive and smooth through 6-6.5K revs.

However, if I put the throttle ALL the way down BEFORE VTEC - and especially in 1st or second when the engine is a bit heat-soaked (after stood in queing traffic) - then the transition to VTEC seems quite sharp at 6.3K revs or so and is sometimes accompanied/signified by a distant but sharp metallic click - kind of as if the VTEC solenoid is a little stuck and then frees up/engages in a split second rather than progressively. (I'm 99% sure that at least one of my other earlier 3 S2000s did this too on a similarly infrequent basis.)

I've done a S2K Forum search and have found a couple of mentions of this - one regarding a (then quite new) S and one for a Civic. The guy with the 07 S commented on his doing it from new and when I PM'd him he said it's now done 30K miles no probs and still sometimes makes the exact same noise under the exact same circumstances as mine. Anyone here experienced/noticed this?? T'would be reassuring to find I'm not the only one here to have noticed this.

(Oil level spot on max mark - the car has hardly used any oil in the 1600 miles covered so far from new.)
Has anybody ever figured this out?

Im getting a metallic clang on VTEC engagement occasionally and was trying to find out if this is normal.
Old 08-24-2019, 08:56 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by HowlinFantods
Has anybody ever figured this out?

Im getting a metallic clang on VTEC engagement occasionally and was trying to find out if this is normal.
Could be your drive shaft cups complaining with the sudden power burst, try driving at a steady speed and dipping and releasing the clutch to see if it does the same. Other than that I can't comment as I have a DBW S that's a bit more gentile going into VTEC.
Old 08-24-2019, 02:16 PM

Received 655 Likes on 570 Posts

what is all this gentle transition talk? i thought it worked by effectively shifting onto a different cam lobe so its on or its off...

ok you can have a less aggressive map but ultimately its digital..

as for the clank, no, never.. yo
Old 08-25-2019, 01:55 AM

Where is the metallic noise coming from? Front I guess if u think it's the VTEC solenoid....which I'd be very surprised if it was audible over engine noise?
I'd be more inclined with it being of the drive train as mentioned previously.
Old 08-25-2019, 02:00 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Never noticed a click noise.

I’ve never hit vtec in first either! That must be brutal on the drive train?
Old 08-25-2019, 02:34 AM

Received 452 Likes on 379 Posts

Is it on stock intake or open cone filter?
I remember the first time I hit VTEC with an open filter (it was a EP3 though), that sound scared the hell out out me
Old 08-25-2019, 05:11 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you have any modifications?

Quick Reply: 'Click' on VTEC engagement - NO-ONE ELSE?