UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Cleaning black flaky paint off exhaust

Old 04-22-2004, 09:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning black flaky paint off exhaust

Just an update to the thread that was up earlier this week.

I've now cleaned the black paint off my stock exhaust, a good improvement from the crap flaky black finish. As someone suggested, you can use Paint remover to do this.

I used Nitro Mors ( be careful not to get any on your skin!!) I put it on with a brush, left for 5 minutes then put another coat on. I left the second coat for 20 minutes then cleaned with a pan scourer. I was still left with a bit of paint, to shift this I put another coat of Nitro on and used the scourer immediately. This shifting everything.

The only problem I had is that I can't remove the silver end finishers, and as I had heard some horror stories of the bolts shearing I didn't try too hard. I therefore have a small bit of black paint behind the finishers that you can see if you know it's there, but I'm happy with the results

Not much effort required for this, but make sure you buy some heavy duty rubber gloves.
Old 04-22-2004, 09:25 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by neil_s2k
Old 04-22-2004, 11:09 AM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Pics
Old 04-22-2004, 03:01 PM

Mine sheared off too on one side. Managed to get it to stay on though by the skin of it's teeth. I tried taking the paint off but didn't much like the finish (I was told it was stainless underneath but it isn't - it's aluminium) ended up painting it black again.
Old 04-22-2004, 11:03 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by neil_s2k
Just an update to the thread that was up earlier this week.

I've now cleaned the black paint off my stock exhaust, a good improvement from the crap flaky black finish. As someone suggested, you can use Paint remover to do this.

I used Nitro Mors ( be careful not to get any on your skin!!) I put it on with a brush, left for 5 minutes then put another coat on. I left the second coat for 20 minutes then cleaned with a pan scourer. I was still left with a bit of paint, to shift this I put another coat of Nitro on and used the scourer immediately. This shifting everything.

The only problem I had is that I can't remove the silver end finishers, and as I had heard some horror stories of the bolts shearing I didn't try too hard. I therefore have a small bit of black paint behind the finishers that you can see if you know it's there, but I'm happy with the results

Not much effort required for this, but make sure you buy some heavy duty rubber gloves.
Have you got any pictures of the end result?
Old 04-22-2004, 11:41 PM

Will get some tonight
Old 04-23-2004, 08:39 AM

And here they are, assuming the photo album is working

Before...

After...

They look much bigger in silver, but at least they're now prepared for respraying should I decide to paint them black
Old 04-23-2004, 09:26 AM

Looks good

I had the same problem, got alot of it off with a jet wash!!! But will now try cleaning it up as yours looks smart - think I prefer the silver over black
Old 04-23-2004, 09:29 AM

The only problem with the silver is that it shows off just how enormous the backboxes are and makes the pipes look a little bit small in comparison. It's a massive improvement over the tatty flaky paint look though, and also shows off that you have a stainless exhaust.
Old 04-23-2004, 10:43 AM

But is it Steel or Ali?

Quick Reply: Cleaning black flaky paint off exhaust