UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Cleaned up my 2001 NFR

Old 03-31-2008, 04:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaned up my 2001 NFR

Was getting little exposure in the washing and waxing forum, go figure
need a better camera

Leaned that my z5 and z2 are really sealants and not polish, though I knew they wouldnt be very strong they did a nice job of making the car look very red I still notice swirls and lines when I get up close
So my question for Tango and others since I have ex poorboys, half a z5 and full z2 left do I need a micro polish?

I figure Ill get some Menz IP and could get thier micro polish but is it needed right away?

Was is p21s and was very impressed with it.

bumper is actually being re sprayed soon as the body shop that did it in aug left a bubble under the license plate and I am going to have them shave the honda badge

Old 03-31-2008, 04:58 AM

oh PS...what is the best thing to use to clean my polishing pads?
I used the toothbrush while spining and a MF to absorb most of the polish but they are a bit brown....like dirty

I put some vinegar on them and brushed them some more but still a bit dirty brown

whats the best thing I can do without having to buy more shit online?
Old 03-31-2008, 06:50 AM
Xd

if the pads are getting clogged up then its possible you are usining too much product. Once the pad has been primed you should only need two pea size blobs to cover eighteen inches square. After a couple of applications you can spur them, toothbrush or a proper buffing pad spur. Two pads will be enough to cover a car, if it gets clogged wash it in some slightly soapy water, rinse then dry.

Zaino products are good but you have to build up the layers, it could need up to ten. The problem is you are not fixing the problem, just hiding it. The buffer will smooth the paint but it is a slow process with a bit of a learning curve. The paint on the S though is pretty forgiving so its a good car to work with.

Alternative to menz for the rotary would be meguiars no. 83 for swirl removal and 80 for glazing. Remember clean pads and small quantities of product. If the pad starts to jump, then its too dry.
Old 03-31-2008, 08:21 AM

Yea I watched a video to better understand the ways of polishing, guess all these years ive never really had to fix swirls in paint...being over here and being lazy I have neglected the car

It doesnt look bad from a distance now actually so I guess I will order when the time is right.

my zaino stuff says to only do 3 coats at a time...

so if I got polish I could just polish over the wax or do I need to remove it?
Old 03-31-2008, 08:36 AM

You can have a look at the website in my sig, and download the pdf as these will help with the processes. Regarding your products as TM said and as you rightly understand the Zaino products you have are sealants, very good ones but to be used after your car is flawless.

TM also indicated and I agree with him that you use the Megs products #83 ad #80, the 83 will remove the swirl marks, but really you will need a machine to do a good job, either a rotary (not recommended unless you are experienced) or a Porter Cable or similar orbital polisher. Personally I have never had success removing swirls by hand (I worry about pressing too hard), but some have.

When you polish with any of the products above you will remove the Zaino, however Zaino should be built up over time, what they are saying is no more than three layers at one sitting so to speak. But it is a layerable product. but it only really comes into its own when you have perfect paint (near perfect at any rate).

Menzerna IP is a fantastic product, absolutely no fillers in that as it is a water based product, and if you add water to your pad (as I do for lubricant with a spray) you can increase the aggressiveness of IP so be careful how and by how much you lube the pads. IP has a tendency to dust too which is a real pain in the ar$e, but it can be worth it as the results can be outstanding.

Cleaning the pads, I tend to soak them in a bowl of hot water, and kneed the product out of them, leaving them to drip dry for the next time ... if you find product is building up then as TM suggests you can use a spur or a toothbrush (my preferred tool) with the rotary/orbital spinning ... it can be a sign of too much product if building up a lot.

Hope this helps.

PS your car looks great in the pics!
Old 03-31-2008, 08:42 AM

my pads dont have build up, they just seen to be a bit brown unless you think that is build up
Ill let them soak later

I have a Porter cable 2427 (or something like that) forgot the numbers its the one all over the site
have had it for years

I actually have the detail book saved on my pc at work....
Old 03-31-2008, 08:42 AM

Ive done the tooth brush....just seems to be a bit dirty looking
Old 03-31-2008, 08:58 AM

Don't worry about dirty looking they all go like that after time, as long as they are actually clean (albeit stained) and don't contain grit they will be fine.... they do only have a limited life expectancy though, so there will be point where you will need new ones ... the best pads in my view are the Meguiars pads, I have used lots of different ones but the Megs are way better than any of the competitions I have tried.

Anyway read the material, visit the webbie and use the correct materials and you will have a great finish and lustre to your car. Good luck.