UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Claybars Work!

Old 07-26-2009, 07:47 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Claybars Work!

I have been sceptical about whether claybarring the S is worthwhile, so haven't bothered in the past, just using Zymol every three months and Mer in the interim periods, after a good wash of course.

I can safely say that it does a good job, there is a definite shine to the car now, and the paintwork looks brighter than before, even on the plastics.

The bodywork is also MUCH smoother, and a fair bit easier to polish now I'm not fighting against the contaminants.

Some areas of the car were cleaner than others, with the front end noticeably dirtier than the rest.

It's started to rain now, so my hard work has been undone somewhat, and therefore no pics.

If anyone is unsure as to whether it's worth doing...just do it...it does make a difference. Well worth the
Old 07-26-2009, 08:35 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

You'll also find the wax lasts longer because it's sticking to the paint, not to the crap on top of the paint. If you get really into it, machine polishing is the way to go
Old 07-26-2009, 09:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep it really does work, once every 6 months is enough though.

It look like you have had a spend up at Halfords!

I also find applying wax by hand helps bond it to because of the natural warmth of your hands.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:20 AM
Xd

Shhhhhh, don't tell anyone. Its a secret
Old 07-26-2009, 09:44 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by loftust,Jul 26 2009, 04:47 PM
The bodywork is also MUCH smoother, and a fair bit easier to polish now I'm not fighting against the contaminants.
That's the most important result from claybarring. A smooth surface takes a shine much, much better than one that's rough by comparison.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:54 AM

I do it at least once a year, plenty of quik detailer needed as a lube.. The difference it makes is very pleasing. The car is easier to clean and stays clean for longer, an excellent invention!
Old 07-26-2009, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by jakesalter,Jul 26 2009, 06:54 PM
I do it at least once a year, plenty of quik detailer needed as a lube.. The difference it makes is very pleasing. The car is easier to clean and stays clean for longer, an excellent invention!
You're right, plenty of QD is required, there are other (imo better) alternatives available that use water as the lubricant, Bilt-Hamber being one of them.
Old 07-26-2009, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Tango Man,Jul 26 2009, 06:20 PM
Shhhhhh, don't tell anyone. Its a secret
Old 07-26-2009, 12:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That reminds me, Tango Man gave me some excellent free advice on his thread to clay bar off the AutoGlyn wax that had dulled my paintwork. To date I haven't got round to it ( looks a bit complicated and if I can balls up the waxing no idea what mess I will make with that!) plus I thought you needed a whole day of dry weather?

Anyway most importantly I haven't thanked TM yet for taking time to answer my query (even if it wasn't the answer I wanted ;-) ) so thanks Tango - and I don't suppose that you have been persuaded to do that Northern detailing tour mooted on an earlier thread have you? If you are swaying I would be interested in you sorting mine out!!! PM with cost and dates if you do decide to tour.
Old 07-26-2009, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Mr JP,Jul 26 2009, 08:36 PM
You're right, plenty of QD is required, there are other (imo better) alternatives available that use water as the lubricant, Bilt-Hamber being one of them.
I was under the impression that qd spray can hold particles in suspension - so no scratching occurs.. Can water do this?

Quick Reply: Claybars Work!