UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Check this thread out re speeding....long but interesting

Old 04-23-2003, 07:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Caught red handed Mark ! - Peter Kay is a god among men.

R.
Old 04-23-2003, 07:45 AM

The Cat & Fiddle pass near Buxton, as Moff says has had this for a while now.
The Derbyshire police have been using spotter planes for a couple of years but they find it cost effective over the cost of scraping bikers off the front of cars, scooping them out from under lorries and finding the bits that went off the side of a pass.
The problem is, while most people can judge how fast is fast enough, there are some who can't and with the rise of the Sunday biker came a huge rise in dead Sunday bikers in that area. For years the police were able to turn a blind eye to all but the most extreme cases of bikers hooning across the peaks, but as the number of bikers whose bravado exceeded their skill increased, the problem became too bad for the police to ignore.

Looking at the Scoobynet thread, he was doing 122 on a NSL road, thats double the speed limit. Despite the arguments about there being no traffic, no villages etc. there is always the chance at that speed of him dying in a crash, and quite possibly taking someone else out with him coming in the opposite direction.
I know I sound like an old fart, but that area is well known by the police now - the Evo plonkers use it for road tests (see my previous comments for what I think of Evo journos) so every Max Muppet and his mate are out there, most of whom wouldn't know opposite lock from a Yale lock but who will drive like they do until the road runs out, then take out some old dear in a Micra as they overcook on a bend and end up on the wrong side of the road.

I hate speed cameras, I hate robotic detection and the way it's used to replace real, live officers who can use discretion and common sense rather than rigidly sticking to absolute limits. But doing 122 in an area well known for speeding is asking for it, frankly, even on a bike - we all have to use judgement in these things. And the police using helicopters to stop them having to send out traffic officers to clear up after Wayne in his Saxo and Barry in his Nova meet face to face is actually cost effective I would think (at around
Old 04-23-2003, 08:38 AM
crash

How do they ID your car?

Surely the plane/chopper is at too high an altitude/angle to get a good look at your plate?

Am paranoid now...
Old 04-23-2003, 10:57 AM

Answer: Do your speeding through tunnels
Old 04-23-2003, 11:18 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

If Autobahnen still only tend to have speed limits in the wet, how come the Germans aren't extinct?
Old 04-23-2003, 01:22 PM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MarkB
[B]The Cat & Fiddle pass near Buxton, as Moff says has had this for a while now.
The Derbyshire police have been using spotter planes for a couple of years but they find it cost effective over the cost of scraping bikers off the front of cars, scooping them out from under lorries and finding the bits that went off the side of a pass.
The problem is, while most people can judge how fast is fast enough, there are some who can't and with the rise of the Sunday biker came a huge rise in dead Sunday bikers in that area.
Old 04-23-2003, 01:27 PM

I remember being warned on driving through the Nevada Desert back in 94 about helicopter speed detectors. Looks like they are catching on here
Old 04-23-2003, 02:14 PM

Originally posted by Nick Graves
If Autobahnen still only tend to have speed limits in the wet, how come the Germans aren't extinct?
Ther are often speed limits during the rush hour
Lane discipline is far better in Germany
The Autobahn is generally too busy in the rush hours for high speeds
Speed and other traffic offences are dealt with efficiently and consistently
Motorbikes go into hibernation over the winter and M&S tyres go onto cars