UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

changes in motoring laws

Old 02-09-2006, 11:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default changes in motoring laws

I read recently that the a spokesman for the Institute of Advanced Motorists wants the speed limits reviewed, for example variable speed limits on certain roads, reduced limits on others.

It seems to me that road legislation hasn't changed much?

Also given some comments I have read about blocking other lanes when a lane merges from two into one, when there have been studies to show that merging should be done at the end of the closed lane (1 car from the left, one car from the right) is the baest way to reduce congestion.

So do we need an update on the highway code to allow for driving conditions in todays traffic clogged climate? And if so what should be changed/introduced/enforced?
Old 02-09-2006, 11:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All drivers under 25 only allowed to drive on private roads.
Old 02-09-2006, 11:55 PM
Banned

All drivers aged 50+ or vehicles containing children (exception of school buses or public transport) restricted from driving on trunks road during peak times.
Old 02-09-2006, 11:55 PM

Allow only men to drive. An instant reduction in congestion levels, speeds will increase, children will be fitter, women will be fitter. More job oppurtunities for marginalised males - prison populations will decrease.

While you're at it, take away their rights to vote.

Old 02-10-2006, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by Bada Bing!,Feb 10 2006, 09:55 AM
All drivers aged 50+ or vehicles with children in the car restricted from driving on trunk road during peak times.
bit ageist that.

What about "no hgvs' on the roads at peak times?
Old 02-10-2006, 12:03 AM
Banned

I really do think there should be far more focus put on "selfish driving" such as lane hogging and not doing the applicable speed for the road.

If you're caught doing 50 on a dual carriageway for no good reason - 3 points and a fine for selfish driving. You'd be stung for doing 20mph over the speed limit, so you should be given the same penalty for holding other drivers up.

If you're caught occupying a lane when the one to your left is clear (or it will take you more than 20 seconds to pass the nearest car - 3 points and a fine for selfish driving.
Old 02-10-2006, 12:08 AM

One *very small* useful change (to me) would be that the speed partnerships are forced to sign post the limits near "safety" cameras. The amount of time that I spent stuck at 39.5mph ( & the number of dodgy overtakes that I've seen) just because people don't realise that the speed limit is 60

Oh, and we will need signs that read 60, rather than simply NSL for this to work.
Old 02-10-2006, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by Bada Bing!,Feb 10 2006, 10:03 AM
1.If you're caught doing 50 on a dual carriageway for no good reason - 3 points and a fine for selfish driving. You'd be stung for doing 20mph over the speed limit, so you should be given the same penalty for holding other drivers up.

2.If you're caught a lane when the one to your left is clear (or it will take you more than 20 seconds to pass the nearest car - 3 points and a fine for selfish driving.
1. very difficult to enforce-speed limits are maximums, better to drive slower if unsure of the conditions.

2. I think the law as it stands actually covers this-although doesn't appear to be enforced. What about changing the law to make it legal to undertake?

Other moggy rules of the road.
a. if, on a single carriegeway, you are driving below the speed limit (say 20% below) and there are >5 cars behind you, you must pull over at the safest opportunity and allow the vehicles to pass.

b. No HGV's on public roads in rush hour.

c. variable speed limit on (some) motorways, going from 50mph in rush hour rising to 100mph in quiet periods.

d. failing to indicate in an appropriate manner-three points
Old 02-10-2006, 12:14 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Moggy,Feb 10 2006, 09:00 AM
bit ageist that.

What about "no hgvs' on the roads at peak times?
Was joking about the 50+. But anyone who's retired I think should be banned from driving at peak times as they will be in no kind of hurry to get anywhere, and would inevitably be charged with "selfish driving" anyway.

Yep, agreed on the HGV's though. Should be banned at peak times and forced to drive on the hard shoulder of motorways.
Old 02-10-2006, 12:17 AM

abolish all road legislation. cue mad-max style every-man-for-himself driving. woudl certainly make the journey to work more interesting. i'm already stocking the shed with optimax

Quick Reply: changes in motoring laws