UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Chamois technique

Old 12-02-2003, 12:51 PM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Welcome to the forums jim!

Beno - I've been wanting to do a wash wax shine day - probably sort it for the springtime
Old 12-03-2003, 12:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do chamois remove zaino from the car?
Old 12-03-2003, 12:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with recommendations made above for both the Autoglym synthetic chamois and the waffle weave microfibre towels - both do an excellent job of drying the car 'streak free'.

I have a Californian Water Blade but I cant bring myself to use it on the S - fear of scratching! - it does make short work of the wifes Stream though.

The other thing to consider is the direction of your drying 'strokes' - I always dry alog the lines of the car - i.e. bonnet top to botton straight lines, same for the boot, and alonge the length of the side pannels (i.e. left to right, not up and down). I never, ever use a circular drying motion.

Also I have sperate cloths / chamois for different parts of the car - 1 for the main body pannels, one for the wheels, one for inside the doors/boot and 2 for under the bonnet.
Old 12-03-2003, 01:01 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

A Chamois will *not* remove Zaino. For heavens sake, even gods own power will struggle against it.

This is what I do to wash my car.

(I`ll skip the bit about webcasts and what I wear, thats for another day...)

1. ALWAYS rinse the car with water first. ALways. Do not dodge this step.
2. Have lukewarm (or cold), NOT HOT water and a 1 capful Z7 mix to hand in a CLEAN bucket.
3. Wash the car with the mix described in step 2. Use a microfibre towel to wash it.
4. Always ensure the cloth does not get too dirty, have a hose on hand to clean it when any visible illegal immigrants (unwanted foreign bodies) are on the m/f cloth
5. Do a panel at a time and rinse well from top to bottom.
6. ALWAYS work from top to bottom of the car. Attack the dirtest parts last, never allow dirt ingress into water/wash mix.
7. Use separate water and totally different washing implements the wheels. Treat the wheels as if a different car. Wheels are evil.
8. Do a complete all over rinse of the vehicle.
9. Clean the edge of a squeegee `Turd-tle wax` water remover in fresh water. Ensure it is clean.
10. Remove all the bulk of water using this excellent invesment.
11. Take your chamois (that has been stored in a plastic bag so it does dry out). Rinse it in water, I use soft water but thats up to you.
12. Draw the last parts of water away (as described above; bullfighter style is a great analogy).
13. Begin the Z2+ZFX application process with a clean 100% cotton applicator. (previously washed, but NO softener used).
14. Panel at a time, allow to dry, and remove with clean m/f towel.
15. Complete the car and step back and inspect your wonderful work.
16. Now begins the Z6 process. Apply lightly, do not allow to dry. Buff with a 100% no seamed towel. This process is sexual. I do (seriously) get turned on at the stage. The more I buff, the greater the reaction. It causes some sort of internal reflex and I come away from the car quite `proud`. For any newbies, this syndrome is quite well documented on here (by me).
17. Now FEEL you car. Do not look, feel. A well washed car feels and smells clean. One does not need to see a clean car. One can touch and smell true nirvana.

This is now a heavenly state. Z6 smells like pure scent and will make your car look like a product of the love of two beautiful bodies. It no longer is a vehicle. It is now a sweet smelling piece of metallic art.

(Copyright 2003, Cheshire Carper).
Old 12-03-2003, 03:09 AM

Always start and finish with warm water. This works a treat. I used to use the Autoglym synthetic chamois but now I use micro fibre waffle weave - it's much better. The chamois has been condemned to door, boot and bonnet jams.

I use an old rag to wipe of the underneath too and then coat it with Zaino tyre gloss. Looks very clean...
Old 12-03-2003, 04:22 AM

I would recommend using one of these, it's environmentally friendly and has no ozone depleting substances - provided it's not fed with beans. You should get a least 12 years use out of it but ensure that you don't apply after a curry or a streaky aprearance could result.

Old 12-03-2003, 04:37 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally posted by Gazzer
Do chamois remove zaino from the car?
I am now stuck with an image of a Gary Larson style cartoon in my head.............