UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Centre Grille fitting - help needed

Old 05-05-2003, 03:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Centre Grille fitting - help needed

I fitted one of the CM centre grilles today but I didnt have any instructions so I have been using ones I have found on the site and I need a bit of advice. When the grille arrived it appeared to be too big for the space ( I couldnt push the grille flush with the original ) and the only way I have been able to get it to fit is by pushing the grill up and into the gap - the problem with this is that although the bottom of the grill fits nicely there is a gap between the bumper and the grill along the top (It looks like the grill needs to come forward a bit) You cant notice it unless you are really close and looking for it but I know its there and its bugging me. I havent seen another one in the flesh but I cant imagine that its supposed to be like that. Am I doing something stupid? A coulple of my friends were helping me fit the grills and horns and they couldnt see how it was supposed to fit either. Is it supposed to sit flat against the original grill?
Cheers
Old 05-05-2003, 11:40 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I fitted a CM grill at the weekend and did not have any problems at all.

The grill is certainly a tight fit and it toog a little adjustment of the 'trim-loc' edging for it to sit nicely, but other than that, no probs. The grill does, however, sit a little forward of the original grill 'slats. Maybe that is our problem - you are trying to push it to far in (ooooh Matron ). If you are stuch, drop me a line and I will post some piccies
Old 05-06-2003, 01:22 AM

Here's a couple of pictures which should explain what I mean and before anyone says anything I know the car is in a state I am just on my way outside to wash and zymol it now
Old 05-06-2003, 10:34 AM

Thats disgusting - you should be ashamed of yourself!
Old 05-06-2003, 12:00 PM

OK Matt, I see what you are doing wrong - you are indeed trying to push it in too far

The 'Trim-loc' edging does not get pushed into the gap in front of the OEM grill. The whole thing sits something like this

Does that help? Hope so, but if not, please shout and I will do what I can to explain.
Old 05-07-2003, 09:55 AM

Looks very smart. Where can I buy a grill?????
Old 05-07-2003, 09:58 AM

Chris, go to the Market Place link at the top of the board, click on site sponsors then go pay Grille Tech a visit. A group buy was organised from them a couple of months back - I've been very happy with my centre grille, but haven't got around to fitting the side ones yet.
Old 05-07-2003, 09:59 AM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Grille Tech - they are site sponsors. I have found them fast and helpful There was a Group Buy a while back Other people have made their own too
Old 05-07-2003, 10:11 AM

Thanks guys. Had a go at making my own but after several cut fingers, I thought @llocks, that hurts and the grill won't look as good as a proper one. I've looked at Grill Tech and will order tomorrow.
Old 05-07-2003, 11:59 AM

Hi Chris,

Just to give credit where credit is due - the pictures in this thread are of grills produced by Coastal Metals - also site sponsors (just click on the 'site Sponsors' thingy at the bottom of the page).

Unlike the Grille Tech grills which attach via nylon 'rip ties' CM's come with aluminium brackets which utilise pre existing hole to attach the grill. CM also offer the option of a kit (Airflow Kit) to attach grills to cut out faux side grills, thus rendering them useful - tests have shown (see CM site) significantly reduced engine bay temeratures using this mod.

Very nice quality products they are too

Quick Reply: Centre Grille fitting - help needed