UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Central locking/electrical fault

Old 02-08-2015, 03:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Central locking/electrical fault

Guys, I need some reasonably urgent help please...

I was doing the shifter re-grease yesterday. Good news is that's worked a treat on my gear change. Slight problem was that when I went to my car this morning my lock/unlock buttons on the remote weren't working. I then retraced my steps, and unfortunately as I was fitting the console clips back in I didn't realise that one of the clips has basically chopped through the wire which I'd trapped, which goes to the flashing red light. Nightmare.

Anyway I connected up the wires, as per the picture, hoping this would work (I definitely have the wires the right way round):

This hasn't worked. Car still starts up fine. I get the green key on the dash. I just don't get the red flashing light and the buttons on the fob do nothing. I don't know much about electrics but can anyone give me some pointers? Is there a fuse I might have blown?
Old 02-08-2015, 05:25 AM

That's an odd one. I might be tempted to disconnect the battery leave it a few minutes, then reconnect, that should reset the alarm. I take it you've checked all the fuses?
Old 02-08-2015, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by Wobbly
That's an odd one. I might be tempted to disconnect the battery leave it a few minutes, then reconnect, that should reset the alarm. I take it you've checked all the fuses?
Yes I checked all the fuses in the footwell visually and they all look okay. Apparently there are some fuses specifically for the alarm in the footwell as well? There is another box of slightly larger fuses just to the right of the main one but they don't look like the kind of fuses that you can visually check? Anyway not sure if thats got anything to do with it, as I guess its a central locking fault rather than alarm...

The battery has been disconnected for quite a while and reconnected which hasn't sorted the issue. I did find a similar issue from someone but this was back in 2002!:

My link

No mention of chopped wires but seemed a little bit of a coincidence that its the exact same fault (no red light flashing) and after messing around with the centre console. I have pinged a message to the OP for what its worth but bearing in mind it was 13 years ago I'm not anticipating a reply.
Old 02-08-2015, 07:02 AM

I'm assuming from the fact you have chopped the led light that you have the Hamilton & Palmer alarm? (small black fob with two buttons) They have a good reputation for helping people out over the phone so it would definitely be worth giving them a ring tomorrow LINKY
Old 02-08-2015, 07:59 AM

Yes its the original HP alarm. Will give them a try tomorrow, thanks
Old 02-08-2015, 11:54 AM

Just further to this, can anyone point me in the direction of where the fuses for the HP alarm are?

Thanks
Old 02-09-2015, 03:43 AM

It was a fuse in the end, just for the benefit of others who might encounter the same problem..

The bank of four bigger blade fuses with the plastic caps on them, in front of the main fuse box, must be for the alarm. The smallest of these (3A) had blown. Initially when I looked at them I didn't notice but they have a small inspection window. Now all is working perfectly.