UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Celica gt 4

Old 04-18-2004, 08:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Celica gt 4

Any1 had a go at any of these? do they trouble the S in any way? straight line acceleration, top end or through corners? im thinking of getting an S in a little while and a friend just got a celica. want to know if i stand a chance against him. it only has intake, exhaust and blow off valve. dont think the boost is up.
Old 04-18-2004, 09:02 AM

I've not driven one but a friend had one for a while..... I remember it being pretty quick. It was one of the first rally specials to hit the UK roads well before Scoobies and EVOs started to appear.

EVO have it listed as having a 5.2sec 0-60 so with a few small mods its probably a match for most S's...... in a straight line or round the twisties!

But he can't take his top down
Old 04-18-2004, 09:13 AM

if its actually 5.2 then its quite a bit quicker, the S is only 6.2 most of the info i found on the celica i found said between 5.9-6.1 which i thought would still be quicker, probably due to the 4 wheel drive.

Wouldnt the 4 wheel drive be hard to catch up to around corners too though? im sorry if i sound stupid but i havent driven an S to know how good the handling is.
Old 04-18-2004, 09:20 AM

I've got a Celica ST (yes, I know this is not a GT4) and it's a fine, reliable car. Currently on about 105k miles and still going strong, it has required no major work since new and still runs sweet as a nut.

Not everything is about speed
Old 04-18-2004, 09:24 AM

one of my mates has got a GT4....they are one quick machine!!....ive never been so scared in my life!....not sure what 0-60 time his was...but he has spent circa
Old 04-18-2004, 10:47 AM
jcp

Yes mate, I got one parked up outside my place now. It belongs to my good friend across the road. Its standard apart from turbo timer and exhaust.

He took me for a blast the day he got it, and I was thrown back into the seat..great machine. I think it would still be pretty close with an s2k in the dry, though I should have had ago when I still had my S. These cars also have the 4x4 advantage.
Old 04-19-2004, 01:10 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

they have the same engine in as the mr2 turbo and the top spec jap one can produce 250 bhp from standard. however, the 4wd system saps a lot of power and the suspension is pretty soft so they tend to understeer. they are easy and cheap to tune but you should be faster in an s2k against a stock one in the dry. incidentily, what year is the gt4? if it has the engine with the air flow meter on (big metal thing just after the air filter) fitting a vent to atmosphere blow off valve will kill the engine in about 10k miles.

richard

Originally posted by Pontio
Any1 had a go at any of these? do they trouble the S in any way? straight line acceleration, top end or through corners? im thinking of getting an S in a little while and a friend just got a celica. want to know if i stand a chance against him. it only has intake, exhaust and blow off valve. dont think the boost is up.
Old 04-21-2004, 01:38 PM

Which GT4 the ST165, ST185 or the ST205? (sad i know!)

All will understeer to death and i don't think mine was as fast as my S. One other thing to remember getting one off the line quick even in the wet is going to cause alot of clutch wear. I always made sure i was all the way off the clutch before giving it full beans, but that was never quick.

I also found that my driving ability got worse as i didn't have to do much "driving" the car did it all for you, you just turn the wheel and press the throttle - try that in an S!

Cheers

Gary
Old 04-21-2004, 02:14 PM

Originally posted by Pontio
friend used to have one. Scarred the sh*t out of me when he took me for a spin. Very very fast.
Old 04-21-2004, 02:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the s looks better!roof up or down!

If you go to 200bhp club you can get some info there as there are a few on that site,Chris mann has one,they seem to drag them alot and some that i seen at sata pod were very quick,although they were moded up some what!i think one did the 1/4 in 11,50 were as the s is around 14,3.

I like the look of the gt 4,but my money would still be with the Honda!

Quick Reply: Celica gt 4