UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

CEL Guidance

Old 11-30-2007, 04:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's you fuel of choice? I know VPower is supposed to have cleaning agents in it to keep everything nice.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:49 AM

Yeah, always VPower for me unless I can't get it when I use the hideously expensive BP Ultimate.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

some old stray tesco fuel from last year?

misfire depends where it is - if at idle it'll run like a nail. 3cylinders and be really rough. if the misfire is higher up, then it'll feel more hesitant and not feel as quick as it should.

problem is, a reported 'misfire' isnt always a straight misfire. like i've said in a previous post, and found out hands on, it can be a reduction in combustion performance (loose tappets = valves not opening fully and causing an 'over fueling' situation, but ecu picks it up as a misfire)

- so, we can confirm that spark plugs have been changed. and no improvement.
- it's highly unlikely to be coil packs - one or two maybe, but not all 4.
- same as injectors - one or two, but not all 4.
- tappets have been checked and are ok (issues with cam should of been found when tappets done, which was the problem with my misfire on my s2000)

unless i've missed something bleeding obvious, it's not the usual parts that have been mentioned.

time to go over to hondahookup, sign up and grab the s2000 manual. go read through pages 11-64 and onwards - reguarding p0301-0304 misfires diagnostics and diagnosis.
you might need to be mechanically sound to do some tests, as there is a thin line between the very first coil pack leak test, and a noisy tappet to the untrained ear.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by veehexx,Nov 30 2007, 01:52 PM
- it's highly unlikely to be coil packs - one or two maybe, but not all 4.
- same as injectors - one or two, but not all 4.

unless i've missed something bleeding obvious, it's not the usual parts that have been mentioned.

time to go over to hondahookup, sign up and grab the s2000 manual. go read through pages 11-64 and onwards - reguarding p0301-0304 misfires diagnostics and diagnosis.
you might need to be mechanically sound to do some tests, as there is a thin line between the very first coil pack leak test, and a noisy tappet to the untrained ear.
The initial CEL readings were only 1-2 valves, it's only after driving it for another week that I'm up to all 4. If havoc is right that could be the ECU compensating?

Otherwise
Old 11-30-2007, 05:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ya mean 1-2 cylinders (aka misfires)
ecu cant pickup each seperate valve.

ecu SHOULD only compensate on the cylinders it's having problems with, since the other two cylinders should be fine, then i doubt it.
that said, i dont have any experience with the inner workings of a honda ecu. general fault diagnostics - yes, honda ecu specific about what happens when a fault is apprent - no.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by veehexx,Nov 30 2007, 02:08 PM
ya mean 1-2 cylinders (aka misfires)
ecu cant pickup each seperate valve.
Doh! I was doing so well...
Old 11-30-2007, 07:23 AM

Here's the link to Random1's very useful thread on random misfire and CEL problems:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=292304

It seems to suggest that quite a few people have had success with Injector changes, and also that lots more information guiding a fix can be had from a good OBD tool.

Spoke to the dealer earlier today and provided them with lots of this information, clearly flumoxed. They seem unwilling to tell me what they're going to actually try next so I'm going to stick with self-diagnosis for a while longer I think.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:03 AM

veehexx...the ECU compensates via the Air/fuel ratio...it's not sophisticated (or quick) enough to compensate on individual cylinders (I'd like to see an engine that could!). So chances are it is just one cylinder that's the problem.

The trick is to stop as soon as the light comes on, plug in a diagnostic tool and see WHICH cylinder.

DB - start with a leakdown test (your local Honda dealer almost certainly won't have the kit*, while your local independent generic garage almost certainly will, and will charge you less than half the price for it). Might as well get the compression checked at the same time...maybe an hour for the two... Those two will tell you whether you've a valve-seat problem or a valve problem respectively...

* Mine wanted to take the head off to check the valve seats...talk about sledgehammer to a nut...
Old 11-30-2007, 11:41 AM

ah,ah,
kangarooing!!!
when i changed my injectors mine stopped doing it,and the cel light went out. didn't go out straight away, but after 3 days (60miles for me).
no point in changing just one injector, while you are there might as well do all 4, quite often they all 'pop' out anyway, with a very slight loss of fuel so only do it with a cold engne.
i used injector cleaner proir to replacing the injectors, it works. but takes about 2 tanks full to do it with additive on both fill up's.
dave
Old 12-06-2007, 12:28 AM

Swapped all 4 injectors last night.
Hopefully everything is okay .. he's not called me since

Will wait to see if the CEL comes back now.

Quick Reply: CEL Guidance