UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

CEL Guidance

Old 11-26-2007, 12:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by t11ner,Nov 23 2007, 05:57 PM
Why would they give the money back?
They wont. Which is why I'd not take my car to a dealer.

I'd only pay for a solution .. I'd not pay for some jnr tech to cross things off a list.

I'd personally go back and ask them to put the old plugs back in as there were obviously NOT the problem, and then spend the
Old 11-26-2007, 07:35 AM

[QUOTE=Bibbs,Nov 26 2007, 10:41 AM]They wont. Which is why I'd not take my car to a dealer.

I'd only pay for a solution .. I'd not pay for some jnr tech to cross things off a list.

I'd personally go back and ask them to put the old plugs back in as there were obviously NOT the problem, and then spend the
Old 11-26-2007, 07:46 AM

The problem is THEIR car has a warning light ..
Not enough info? Maybe THEY should have thought of that at design time ..

(I know it'll never happen like that, but that's my opinion)
Old 11-26-2007, 08:35 AM

i had simmilar on mine. i replaced the injectors took half an hour, and replaced the sparkplugs 15 minutes. no problems no cel light now for 3k miles.
could also be the coil. each spark plug has its own.
dave
Old 11-26-2007, 08:53 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

The basic list of possibilities in in the link in my signature.

They are the basics, beyond that you can be into mechanical problems but they are easy things to check.

I'd expect a dealer to have more than my limited knowledge.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Bibbs,Nov 26 2007, 05:46 PM
The problem is THEIR car has a warning light ..
Not enough info? Maybe THEY should have thought of that at design time ..

(I know it'll never happen like that, but that's my opinion)
I suspect that we would actually agree that Honda kit is about as good as it gets when it comes to clever and well thought out designs. The fact is that cars are complicated and not always straight forward to fix, you don't like it, don't buy one

As for who's car it is, I think you'll find that it's now the owners car and not Honda's so the owner gets the bill
Old 11-28-2007, 01:48 AM

I managed to pull the codes from the ECU last night having driven it for a couple of days with the light on. There were 5 codes, all four cylinders reporting misfire and the general misfire one. Does the fact that all four are reporting misfires help any in suggesting the next bits to change?
Old 11-28-2007, 08:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is the car actually driving ok, with the exception of the CEL light on, or is there a misfire apparent too?

does it sound ticky (sugesting tappets)? because your inital posts were only a misfire on one or two cylinders.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:19 PM

Drummerboy...go and find the US thread linked to in one of my threads...there's stuff about that in there.

Essentially it suggests the problem is one cylinder only but the ECU is clever enough that it tries to compensate and in doing so precipitates occasional misfires (not harmful) in other cylinders. So if you catch it straight away it's 1 cyl only, but after a day or two it's spread to all 4. If so, it could be coil/injectors/poss even sticking valve...

Equally, mine seems to have cleared itself so I suspect contaminated fuel in my case...

Oh...in case you didn't know the car SHOULD be safe to drive unless the CEL starts flashing. But I'd use the code-reader to clear the codes down so you know when it happens again, and therefore how frequently it's happening...

Cheap option:-
- Forte 'gas treatment' / 'injector cleaner' - one or the other in one tank, then the other in the next tank. See what that does.
Old 11-30-2007, 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by veehexx,Nov 28 2007, 05:48 PM
is the car actually driving ok, with the exception of the CEL light on, or is there a misfire apparent too?

does it sound ticky (sugesting tappets)? because your inital posts were only a misfire on one or two cylinders.
I don't think the engine sounds any more "ticky" than before the problem occurred, and one of the things it's had done at the dealer since is tappet adjustment. No fix there.

The car is driving ok, when idling it is blipping a lot - whether this is the misfire or just because of the CEL limp mode I'm not sure. Excuse my ignorance but how else would I detect a misfire - I would presume either a noticable noise or perhaps a sudden loss of power? I'm not seeing those while driving. Possibly a bit more likely to kangaroo but that may again be limp mode.

havoc: Thanks, I'll dig the thread up and get some injector cleaner to try next. I presume I'll need to go through the whole tank before it shows a difference?

I've now gone through a full tank of new fuel since the problem. The codes have been reset 3 or 4 times now and always reappear within the first 2-3 journeys.

Quick Reply: CEL Guidance