UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

CD/Radio players

Old 08-15-2013, 11:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. Work called last night so was unable to reply. I'll have a good look at all these suggestions.
One thing I did notice was " Whatever you get, the key question can you make it fit in the surrounding for the door to close " : you've lost me there.
( Based Peterborough btw )
Old 08-16-2013, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by SeaHawk
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. Work called last night so was unable to reply. I'll have a good look at all these suggestions.
One thing I did notice was " Whatever you get, the key question can you make it fit in the surrounding for the door to close " : you've lost me there.
If you are running an s2k with the standard OEM head unit and speakers then you really do need to replace the door speakers as well as upgrading the head unit because they are awful. All you need from a head unit is a decent model that will take bluetooth output from your iphone / ipod - this gives you all your music , and you will also get all the voice instructions from Google maps / Waze pumped through the stereo too. But if spending 200 quid or more on a head unit then it is worth going to a decent car audio place and have them put a pair of proper speakers, with sound deadening mats in the doors.
Old 08-16-2013, 12:06 AM

I got mine done at AudioFlle in Hertfordshire last year as follows - upgrading from bog standard OEM rubbish:

2x Focal Access 165 Component 2 way speakers
Alpine 136BT head unit (including ipod dock in the drinks holder, windscreen DAB aerial, and dash microphone)
2 layers of Dynamat door insulation
Honda dash controls converter for head unit
Focal Active Bassbin behind Passenger seat

and fitting (which took a day and included courtesy car)

£1200

I can now enjoy pounding drum and bass even at 80 on the motorway with the roof down.
Old 08-16-2013, 01:46 AM
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

All these guys are saying is that some of the newer HUs have a bog knob on the front, which sometimes gets in the way of the stereo flap closing. I'm pretty sure that the Alpine and Pioneer HUs will be fine, though don't quote me on that - the installer may need to fiddle with some screws.

Whilst the OEM speakers are rubbish (particularly if you have a 99-01 car), you don't have to upgrade them at this stage, but it is perhaps worth thinking about in future, as is the excellent suggestion of sound deadening the doors.

However, per the original request, the kit I've specified will meet those requirements nicely.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by lovegroova
Originally Posted by SeaHawk' timestamp='1376638409' post='22727392
All these guys are saying is that some of the newer HUs have a bog knob on the front, which sometimes gets in the way of the stereo flap closing. I'm pretty sure that the Alpine and Pioneer HUs will be fine, though don't quote me on that - the installer may need to fiddle with some screws.

Whilst the OEM speakers are rubbish (particularly if you have a 99-01 car), you don't have to upgrade them at this stage, but it is perhaps worth thinking about in future, as is the excellent suggestion of sound deadening the doors.

However, per the original request, the kit I've specified will meet those requirements nicely.
Thanks for explaining. Yes, the S is 2000 model. To be honest I've never used the radio much, as it's been a second car, but now that it will be my daily runner I thought I would try get better audio facilities. I may go for a cheaper unit, not sure yet. £200 was top limit really. Like home audio, decent speakers will get more from a decent amp. Looked at your links. Looks good. I wonder if I can get a cheaper HU. (speakers I'll leave for now)
THanks again.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by krunchkin
I got mine done at AudioFlle in Hertfordshire last year as follows - upgrading from bog standard OEM rubbish:

2x Focal Access 165 Component 2 way speakers
Alpine 136BT head unit (including ipod dock in the drinks holder, windscreen DAB aerial, and dash microphone)
2 layers of Dynamat door insulation
Honda dash controls converter for head unit
Focal Active Bassbin behind Passenger seat

and fitting (which took a day and included courtesy car)

£1200

I can now enjoy pounding drum and bass even at 80 on the motorway with the roof down.
Way above my budget,krunchkin, but must be good for that price. Can you still hear the police siren approaching
!
Old 08-16-2013, 03:53 AM
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

Thanks for explaining. Yes, the S is 2000 model. To be honest I've never used the radio much, as it's been a second car, but now that it will be my daily runner I thought I would try get better audio facilities. I may go for a cheaper unit, not sure yet. £200 was top limit really. Like home audio, decent speakers will get more from a decent amp. Looked at your links. Looks good. I wonder if I can get a cheaper HU. (speakers I'll leave for now)
THanks again.
No problem

A cheaper HU will most likely be fine. Even the most basic 171 (there are three varieties which have different colour displays) red http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/alp-...cde-171rr.html or orange http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/alp-...cde-171rm.html

Other than that, there's little point in saving a tenner by going for the 123 or 173 models.
Old 08-16-2013, 02:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought one of these a couple of months ago on special from Halfords http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_165474

Think it was £10 or 20 cheaper at the time. It has radio, CD, and bluetooth wireless streaming so if you have an iPhone you can stream the music directly in wirelessly. Also works as a phone kit and fits behind the radio door.

Halfords sell the dash controller adapter - i am not sure the cost as I had part of the kit from my old S2000 and just needed a patch lead. It is made by audioleads I think. Just make sure you get the new version of the patch cable - it has been updated but has the same code. You need the cable with the wire as well as the headphone style plug not just the plug.

I am really pleased with mine - the only gripe is that it doesn't come with a box for the faceplate, but then if you close the cover it isnt that bigger issue in my opinion.

Has made me want some new speakers though