UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

CD/Radio players

Old 08-15-2013, 06:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CD/Radio players

I'm looking to buy a CD/Radio player for the S. I just have the radio as supplied. Any recommendations for the best way of doing this?
- any specific CD/radio players which will fit into the radio gap?
- Any other ways of doing this e.g. I've read about players being put in the boot?
- How would I play my ipod through my speakers? ( may be cheapest option)
There's no " Basics " section for non technical posters like myself ( could we do with one? ) so apologies if this seems an odd question.
Personal experiences of having done what I'm wanting to do would be good.
Thanks in advance.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:18 AM

You have loads of options, depending on budget, the look you are after and what exactly you want to be able to do with the head unit.

Cheapest option to play iPod etc through the stereo would be an FM/AM sender which you tune into a free radio frequency. They are cheap, but don't offer a solution I;d be happy with.

I wasn't aware the S2000 came without a CD player?
Old 08-15-2013, 07:26 AM

Earlier models come without cd player. ( unless it's well-hidden )
Old 08-15-2013, 07:27 AM
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

All "single DIN" aftermarket stereos (or Head Units or HU) fit into the S2000. (Single din is a standard height measurement for car stereos and covers the vast majority of them).

The best way of hooking up an iPod is to replace the HU with an aftermarket one. Pretty much all of them will control and charge an iPod these days.

In general terms, the more you spend, the better sound quality you'll get. You will also get features like bluetooth if you want to connect a phone for both calls and playing music/satnav etc.

What you get depends on what your budget is. Start there and then we can give you some recommendations.

To give you an idea, Alpine are a good brand, and here's a link which shows you the range in price order http://www.caraudiod...cfvalue1=alpine

Note that you will also need an adapter to be able to use the dash controls for your new stereo - see the Celsus option here: https://www.s2ki.com/...ost__p__5798525
Old 08-15-2013, 07:28 AM

Not after expensive ( how long is a piece of string) . Just want a decent unit.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:29 AM

Well I never knew that!

CD changers can be put in the boot or possibly even under the passenger seat.

If you want iPod connectivity that it would be better to get a new head unit with USB out put or even bluetooth to connect to.

These come in all styles, colours and prices - the thing to look out for is volume / selectors either sticking out or being over sized as the clearence behind the radio cover is less at the top and bottom.

Do you want the ability to add to the sound system at a later date, e.g amps and subs, phone kit etc?
Old 08-15-2013, 07:30 AM
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by SeaHawk
Not after expensive ( how long is a piece of string) . Just want a decent unit.
See edit with links above.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by lovegroova
All "single DIN" aftermarket stereos (or Head Units or HU) fit into the S2000. (Single din is a standard height measurement for car stereos and covers the vast majority of them).

The best way of hooking up an iPod is to replace the HU with an aftermarket one. Pretty much all of them will control and charge an iPod these days.

In general terms, the more you spend, the better sound quality you'll get. You will also get features like bluetooth if you want to connect a phone for both calls and playing music/satnav etc.

What you get depends on what your budget is. Start there and then we can give you some recommendations.

To give you an idea, Alpine are a good brand, and here's a link which shows you the range in price order http://www.caraudiod...cfvalue1=alpine

Note that you will also need an adapter to be able to use the dash controls for your new stereo - see the Celsus option here: https://www.s2ki.com/...ost__p__5798525
No more than £200? Thanks.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by Tommybuoy
Well I never knew that!

CD changers can be put in the boot or possibly even under the passenger seat.

If you want iPod connectivity that it would be better to get a new head unit with USB out put or even bluetooth to connect to.

These come in all styles, colours and prices - the thing to look out for is volume / selectors either sticking out or being over sized as the clearence behind the radio cover is less at the top and bottom.

Do you want the ability to add to the sound system at a later date, e.g amps and subs, phone kit etc?
No, not after ability to upgrade later. By new HU with USB output for ipod you mean cd/radio player? ( See what you're dealing with here )
Thanks for your replies so far!
Old 08-15-2013, 07:36 AM

Word of warning - not all Single DIN fit - my Pioneer didn't util I fitted another volume knob from another unit.

Quick Reply: CD/Radio players