UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Caught speeding

Old 02-11-2006, 07:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Caught speeding

About 6 months ago I got caught speeding in the S doing 84 mph on the M11 on a Sunday morning. The speed limit was 70 MPH. The motorway was completely dead.

It was the most peculiar experience; I had just come off the M25 and joined the M11, I was accelerating and few seconds later I looked in the mirror and saw a police car, I immediately looked at the odometer and noticed I was doing 84. I instantly came off the accelaration and was tempted to push the brake pedal but resisted my temptation.

About 30 seconds later I moved into the middle lane, the police car came parallel to my car, the female copper looked at me (I had the hood down!!), moved behind me and then flashed at me (directing me to the hard shoulder). I followed the instructions and was handed sppeding ticket.

In my 7 years of driving I have managed to keep my license clean. I have a court hearing in 3 weeks time any advice would be much appreciated.
Old 02-11-2006, 07:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

all you can do is eat humble pie, take the three points and a
Old 02-11-2006, 07:50 AM

Don't worry mate, you'll get 3 points. It won't effect insurance, just watch out for cop cars behind you for the next 3 years!
Old 02-11-2006, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by s2kbad,Feb 11 2006, 04:45 PM
About 6 months ago I got caught speeding in the S doing 84 mph on the M11 on a Sunday morning. The speed limit was 70 MPH. The motorway was completely dead.

It was the most peculiar experience; I had just come off the M25 and joined the M11, I was accelerating and few seconds later I looked in the mirror and saw a police car, I immediately looked at the odometer and noticed I was doing 84. I instantly came off the accelaration and was tempted to push the brake pedal but resisted my temptation.

About 30 seconds later I moved into the middle lane, the police car came parallel to my car, the female copper looked at me (I had the hood down!!), moved behind me and then flashed at me (directing me to the hard shoulder). I followed the instructions and was handed sppeding ticket.

In my 7 years of driving I have managed to keep my license clean. I have a court hearing in 3 weeks time any advice would be much appreciated.
I'd be asking why you have a court hearing for what is a FPN speeding offence at most

Most coppers won't pull you for speeding at 84mph in a 70mph limit. Are you giving us the whole story here? i.e. was it a temporary 50mph limit? could you have been considered to be driving dangerously?

Seems odd to me

Edit: Just read your post again - have you chosen to go to court (I'm assuming that you haven't yet admitted to the offence?)

Andy
Old 02-11-2006, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by S2KPDQ,Feb 11 2006, 05:51 PM
I'd be asking why you have a court hearing for what is a FPN speeding offence at most

Most coppers won't pull you for speeding at 84mph in a 70mph limit. Are you giving us the whole story here? i.e. was it a temporary 50mph limit? could you have been considered to be driving dangerously?

Seems odd to me

Andy
completely agree

Surely the CPS wouldn't entertain such a waste of the crown's time
Old 02-11-2006, 07:59 AM

Does seem odd that it is a court appearance. To be honest I'm actually surprised that they pulled you over at (indicated speed) 84 mph.
Old 02-11-2006, 08:05 AM

I did choose to take this to court. The speed limit was 70 mph not 50.

It seemed to me that the traffic officer was hesitant, I was not flashed for a fair amount of time. Infact there was a point where I thought that the officer will just drive away. She had a good look at me before she pulled me over!!

I was expecting a simple caution but not a ticket, I have seen this in documentries.

It was a Sunday morning and the roads were clear.
Old 02-11-2006, 08:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also cannot understand a court appearance just for 84. Should just be a FPN. Empty road? She had a look at him first? Something fishy here.

Is there any video evidence or is it just her word against yours?
Old 02-11-2006, 08:09 AM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

perhaps she fancied you and just wanted to flirt.
Old 02-11-2006, 08:18 AM

Considering the 10% + 2 rule you were only travelling 6mph above the "Flash" point. Its gonna cost em more than the fine to put it through the court. I wouldnt be suprised if the cop doesnt turn up and it gets adjourned too

Also - why has it taken so long to come through?

Quick Reply: Caught speeding