UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Castrol/Honda advice on engine oil

Old 06-24-2007, 06:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 06-24-2007, 06:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 06-24-2007, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by GrittyShaker,Jun 24 2007, 06:21 AM

works for me
Old 06-24-2007, 06:38 AM

I was considering 5w30 Magnatec, but I don't see that much mention of it around here.
Old 06-24-2007, 06:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whilst I'm no oil expert I do have some experience of this.

We used to produce Diesel engines at our site as well as petrol engines (we stopped a year ago) and used to have a Diesel spec of 5W-30 and a Petrol spec of 5W-30.

We could happily put the Diesel spec in the petrol engines (and actually now do) but we can't put the petrol spec in the diesel.

The reason; the control limits of the petrol 5W-30 were wider than those for Diesel 5W-30. The diesel oils control limits fell within those of the petrol oils and hence it would always be suitable for going in a petrol engine (a bit like having a premium oil going in it).

The petrol oils control limits were wider than that for the diesel oil though meaning that sometimes you may not get the properties you need in a diesel engine (depending on the manufacturing process at the time).

This was with Texaco rather than Castrol though but I'd suspect its something similar.
Old 06-24-2007, 08:51 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

TBH, since they're all multigrades, does it really matter what it's called?

I hate using an oil that sound like it's got anything to do with U2, but it's available. So it goes in.

Old 06-24-2007, 02:17 PM

I checked the formulation on these oils the other day and asked a few questions. Diesel on passenger car oil's are simply for joe bloggs to think he his putting a special or specially designed oil in his engine. In fact the basic chemistry is the same.

Truck oils are the only ones that are formulated differently as they run much longer drain intervals burning lots of fuel and hence the oil becomes very soot loaded.

5w40derv edge or 5w30 Edge would be fine. I would avoid 0w40s now after an interesting chat with one of the bike guys the other day.
Old 06-24-2007, 02:27 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Graves,Jun 24 2007, 05:51 PM
TBH, since they're all multigrades, does it really matter what it's called?

I hate using an oil that sound like it's got anything to do with U2, but it's available. So it goes in.

Remember, the bigger the viscosity spread, the more vulnerable the molecular chain is to tearing in synthetics. Everything is a compromise, including wide range multigrades.
Old 06-24-2007, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by m1bjr,Jun 24 2007, 10:27 PM

Remember, the bigger the viscosity spread, the more vulnerable the molecular chain is to tearing in synthetics. Everything is a compromise, including wide range multigrades.
It's the Viscosity modifiers that are actually shearing. Technology of these additives has moved on now though and it's not the the issue it used to be.

I agree though, the ideal would be a '40w' Baseoil for when the oil is warm. Just you won't get the cold flow properties you need on a road car.
Old 06-28-2007, 07:35 AM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Here's the Castrol datasheet for the Magnatec Professional C3 5W-40, and it refers to diesel use too.

I see from their website that Halfords do a Halfords 5W/40 Fully Synthetic Oil, now given that Halfords are not manufacturing this themselves, who's is it? It is substancially cheaper than the branded alternatives, and might actually be a better fit than a 5W-30 from a known brand.

Simon

__________________________________________________ ______________________________

Applications

Castrol Magnatec Professional C3 5W-40 is tailor-made liquid engineering for multi-valve, high speed engine technology and latest diesel catalyst systems and has been extensively tested in a wide range of modern engines from leading manufacturers.

Castrol Magnatec Professional C3 5W-40 combines fully synthetic technology with Intelligent Molecules that bond to your engine surfaces providing active and continuous protection to keep your car at its peak for longer.

This product is developed and delivered to you to the highest standards of lubricant engineering.

__________________________________________________ ______________________________

Features / Benefits

Active and continuous protection to keep your car at its peak
Suitable for the latest diesel particulate filter exhaust systems

Specifications / Performance

API SM/CF
ACEA A3/B4
ACEA C3

VW 505 00/502 00
MB 229.31

Storage

All packages should be stored under cover. Where outside storage is unavoidable drums should be laid horizontally to avoid the possible ingress of water and the obliteration of drum markings. Products should not be stored above 60

Quick Reply: Castrol/Honda advice on engine oil