UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Castrol/Honda advice on engine oil

Old 06-23-2007, 08:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Castrol/Honda advice on engine oil

Here I go again. Following recent oil discussions here, I was quite happy. Then I heard back belatedly from Honda UK consumer support - in the form of a leaflet published with Castrol. The leaflet showed the recommended oil for each Honda car. The oil for the S2000 was "Castrol Magnatec Professional C3 5W-40".

I looked for a UK seller...no luck. I searched on the Castrol UK site...no luck. I googled it...aha! It is available. But in Poland. So I called Castrol UK and learned that the viscosity range is right but the particular oil is not available to the public in the UK ("it's a workshop range"). So what's the recommended oil for the UK?

"Go for the viscosity of 5W-40", Castrol advised. But the only Castrol oil I could find was Castrol Edge Turbo Diesel 5W-40. "That'll be fine". Hang on, it says Turbo Diesel! "Yup, but it's just a label." Really? "Yes..." [a patient technical and marketing explanation followed].

So I called Honda UK, told them the story above and asked whether they were happy with my using Edge Turbo Diesel 5W-40. There was a bit of consternation about the leaflet but after consulting 'techical' they called back and said that the main issue is the viscosity range and to go with the Castrol recommendation. (And they'll be reviewing the leaflet!)

So there you have it: Castrol Edge Turbo Diesel 5W-40 for your S2000, recommended by Castrol and endorsed by Honda UK.

Just thought you'd like to know .
Old 06-23-2007, 08:23 AM

Nice one Col

I always wondered if that turbo diesel labelling was garbage and now I know it is
Old 06-23-2007, 08:39 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Where's Si - cant you boys sort it out?

As much as it pains me to say it, Opie oils will probably sell it.
Old 06-23-2007, 09:07 AM

Silkolene Pro S 5w-40. That is all
Old 06-23-2007, 09:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Marketing Muppets!
Old 06-24-2007, 02:26 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

On the Castrol site, there is no recommended oil for this car.
it says 'Refer to Technical" and implies, as expected, that one chooses an oil with a viscosity range suitable for the temperature range in which you drive.

Go to castrol USA and punch in the data again and they recommend Castrol Syntec 5W40.

Been using Magnatec for years and will continue to do so. People on these owners groups are always faffing about oils and will continue to do so. But, what I would say is look how many have blown engines because they supposedly knew better.
Scoobynet was another fine example...
Old 06-24-2007, 03:07 AM

At the risk of repeating myself. Look at the API and SAE classifications for the oil.
Then buy one which meets those clasifications. FWIW Castrol Magnatec or Castrol Edge of the correct grade are both fine fr the S2000 and freely available in Halfords. If you want something a litle better then Opie oils is your friend.
Old 06-24-2007, 03:54 AM

I've been using Castrol Edge 5W-30 as recommended by you Aldfort as I could not easily get Castrol GTX Magnatec Redline 10W 30 or Motul 300V 5W 40 as recommended by Dark Blue Mark. Should I now go for the Castrol Edge Turbo Diesel 5W-40 and is it OK to mix the two?

I was flummoxed by the Castrol site too and but thought that I was the only one who was confused on the oil front and didn't want to admit it.
Old 06-24-2007, 04:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My S currently has 10W40 Mobil Super S in it - thats what the Honda dealer used at the last service.

When the next one is due I will change it to Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 so it meets the requirements ...... and because it is much more readily available than the Mobil Super S - and fully as opposed to semi synthetic.
Old 06-24-2007, 06:09 AM

People really do get WAY too worked up about what the "right" oil is......

Quick Reply: Castrol/Honda advice on engine oil