UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Carbotech Brake Pads

Old 09-20-2013, 06:05 AM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

They are great pads, 3 trackdays on mine and loads of pad left. I did warp a set of cheap discs with them thou.

My friend just completed his second trackday in his Subaru Impreza and came home to find a strange grinding noise. Took the wheels off and saw that he has gone to the backing plate on the pad. Yellow Stuffs were the culprit.

Carbotech pads are expensive but you get what you pay for. £200 vs £75. On the road they are OTT and the squeal can drive you mad. Mines at its worse when my other half is in the car and i have to drive tamely, they never get enough heat to quieten them down. On track they are amazing, no need for a big brake kit if you run these pads. I will probably get all winter and alot of trackdays next year on my current set.

My second trackday on yellows was nothing but frustrating, no confidence braking into a corner and it really does unsettle you as your wondering when they are going to completely give up. Came into the pits and they were pretty much on fire on the rear of the car.

Buggyofmilddiscomfort uses his Carbotech in some pretty extreme conditions and they hold up. I would tend to go with the advice of people who use a pad on the track. I have spoken to loads of people on trackdays before the start of the day and they say "yellow stuff all around i wont get any fade". By the end of it they are moaning about crappy pedal and pulsing through the brake pedal.

Of course thou XP10 or higher is completely overkill on the road, if i was using a pad just for road then yellow stuff are fine. You would be hard pushed to get them hot enough for long enough to kill them on the road.
Old 09-20-2013, 06:16 AM

Received 117 Likes on 82 Posts

We've got XP10's in the rear, because we have steering/fiddle brakes on the back of the buggy - so you can hold the brake on the inside wheel in a corner, and on the way out to stop the inside wheel spinning up - so there's quite a lot of heat buildup there.
There was one pretty fast course we went to that had a twist tarmac/gravel lane, where you were on the brakes after a long straight, holding the inside brake on to get the car to turn into a hairpin because it swapped from tarmac to gravel on the way in, then holding the brake on with the power on at the exit to stop the wheel lighting up on the gravel.
I was having to repack the CV joints and wheel bearing on that side with fresh grease every couple of runs because it was getting so hot it was weeping out of the seals like dirty water, but we never even thought about the pads all day - it was only later I realised just how much heat they must have coped with - and they never gave a hint of an issue.
The best thing is, even with that abuse, I know if was axle deep in mud, sand and grit 10 seconds later they would still work perfectly.

edit: I need to get a sales job
Old 09-23-2013, 04:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim S
That's not a bad price - about the same as a set of DS2500 and not much more than Yellowstuff.

If you don't mind me asking, where did you get them from? I wouldn't mind trying them.
Hi Tim as Tron2k3 suggested just contact Ian he is a great chap and so helpful!
Old 09-23-2013, 04:49 AM

Buggy great write up in details I just bedded my one in yesterday they are superb does sqeeks a little and bit more dust as Lovegroova said!
Old 09-23-2013, 05:45 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Is that £204 for fronts and rears?
Old 09-23-2013, 05:49 AM

£204 Just for the fronts they not the cheapest but they are worth every penny!
Old 09-23-2013, 08:47 AM

Received 117 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by chao888
Buggy great write up in details I just bedded my one in yesterday they are superb does sqeeks a little and bit more dust as Lovegroova said!
To be honest, I've never found the dust that bad - what there is of it just blows off with the pressure washer, whereas stuff like CL pads tends to weld itself to your paintwork
Old 09-23-2013, 10:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lovegroova
Carbotech direct when I enquired about them in the past.

http://www.carbotech-europe.com/compounds.htm
Originally Posted by tron2k3
Contact Ian:
Telephone: 01768 885 000
Email: sales@carbotech-europe.com

They have great bite from cold so would also be ideal for sprints.
Hi Tim as Tron2k3 suggested just contact Ian he is a great chap and so helpful!
Thanks for the replies chaps.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:27 AM
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

Are you just using these on the road, or on track?
Old 09-24-2013, 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by lovegroova
Originally Posted by chao888' timestamp='1379944160' post='22791748
Are you just using these on the road, or on track?
Hi Simon I am using on the roads atm but will be using it on track too.

Quick Reply: Carbotech Brake Pads