UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Carbon Fibre Fabric Console Retrim DIY

Old 05-03-2011, 03:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbon Fibre Fabric Console Retrim DIY

Well all this talk of Carbon fibre vinyl coatings got me thinking today would be the perfect day to do a DIY on some retrim that I have done in Carbon Fibre Fabric.

This stuff is the dogs dooleys..... not cheap but I think it's worth it . It is very thin making it ideal for covering all manner of odd shapes and very strong (feels like silk)

Many of you would have seen the adverts for 'Finer Liners' carbon Console covers. Well apart from being for LHD cars (hands up anyone over here who has ordered one? ) They have also run out of the fabric apparently.

So begun my quest to find said fabric and have a go at producing one myself. I stumbled across a guy called Dennis Cooper selling it on the BMW 5 series forums (BMW do something very similar on some of their production cars with carbon fibre leather - Uber expensive) -

http://forum.bmw5.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=67928

a search for 'carbon fibre DIY wrapping' on Ebay will also take you to this product (along with the spray glue I would highly recommend)

I also purchased some 1/8" car trimming foam from my local friendly auto trimmer after some discussion on the way forward.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) Removed my Leather console cover - A good guide here - http://www.ricks2k.com/info/instruct...fitconsole.pdf. It does require some rather brute tugging to get it from under the stereo and behind the seats (you will break clips so get some spare if you wish to reuse - I didn't).

2) I lay the foam flat on the table and coated the 'non netted' side of it with the spray adhesive (thank god my wife is away ). Repeated on the underside of the carbon fabric before letting it go tacky for 30 seconds. Positioned like a sumo wrestler at the side of the dining room table I carefully lay the carbon fabric onto the foam, making sure I didn't get any creases or bubbles. This stuff is Instant stick so you have to get this bit right.... could of probably done with another pair of hands to help lay it, ah well. Smoothed it out quickly and let it sit whilst I had a brew

3) Turning the new laminate over I traced the existing covers template onto the foam. I actually ran a long length of parcel tape down the middle from end to end onto the table to hold it all in place. I hadn't made my mind up yet as to how far to extend the console cover around the back of the seats or not (very difficult with a flat piece of material). I roughly marked out where the holes were but didn't use them in the end as I thought it looks good without the folds (and it holds in position just fine). You just need enough overlap at the sides to tuck the new cover underneath the old one (an inch or two) If you want to use the poppers then feel free to adapt with holes as necessary (I would do it once it's all in position in the car anyway)

4) Once the template is cut out you can check it by laying it over the existing console cover. You may notice all the little dimples and blemishes in the fabric. These will disappear when you tighten it in position later.

5) Now you have got your trace you can refit the original console cover (takes a bit of effort to get it under the various bits of trim). I found it easiest to work from behind the seats and forward. Cutting the super long excess bits off that sit under the radio (you will struggle to get them in otherwise)

6) Lay up the new 'carbon fibre goodness' laminate. I decided to trim it in line with the plastic console cover, tucking it back under itself and gluing it with more spray adhesive (out of the car!)

Working forward and tucking underneath the old one as you go, secure the centre with duct tape or something similar to maintain some tension and smooth out any wrinkles (will be covered by the plastic cover). Make sure you don't cover up the holes that the plastic cover clips into.

Once you reach the stereo end you want to trim off enough so you have some to tuck under the knee pads (left and right of stereo in the foot wells)and trim upto the stereo door. Again tensioning with tape as you go. Not pretty but the radio door will cover it!

7) All thats left to do is reinstall the plastic console cover (re trim gear stick surround if you fancy it! guide for removal here - http://www.ricks2k.com/info/instructions/shiftboot.pdf)

As you are now at double thickness foam the plastic cover will take some 'whacking' to get the clips back in.

The end result! Really pleased... I had no idea how it was going to turn out being a bit of a stickler for OEM interiors (with a carbon fibre fetish ) but I really like it - Not too in your face

Old 05-03-2011, 04:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

not a huge fan of the carbon look but I think you have done a good job.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:05 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I had some on mine, yanked it off after a few as you can tell this 3M stuff is not real. You've done a good though I must say.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:42 AM

Thanks

I have used the 3M stuff back in the days of my bright green civic coupe . Would never dream of that stuff touching my S! This stuff is awesome, a breathable dry carbon look. I'm not trying to make my centre console look like it has been made from carbon fibre by any means! (If I wanted to do that I would have removed all the trim and stuck 3M to the metal! ) Just like people like Alcantara / leather / suede for its aesthetic properties this stuff just adds a different dimension.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:34 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Now you've done the console cover, I think you need to do the gaiter surround in silver to offset it
Old 05-04-2011, 01:38 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by coolchrisuk
Saw that and thought you were trying to cover a coffin!
Old 05-04-2011, 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by richmc
Saw that and thought you were trying to cover a coffin!
I did have it layed on my bed at one point and just for a split second contemplated making a CF bed set. (Guaranteed divorce when my wife gets back)
Old 05-04-2011, 02:03 AM
Community Organizer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good work Chris
Old 05-04-2011, 02:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

at first i was , but then i was

i'm not a big fan of CF, and i haven't really seen a nicely done interior , but yours in the first. i really do like it!
Old 05-04-2011, 03:08 AM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Nice....

Quick Reply: Carbon Fibre Fabric Console Retrim DIY