UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Car tracker, what's everyone got?

Old 03-08-2012, 11:24 PM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by s2konroids
A big f@#k off angry German shepherd in the passenger seat
De clawed to protect the leather, that will make it even angrier.
Or get Ray Winstone to be your mate.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:11 AM
Community Organizer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This system incorporates a movement detector which senses the theft of the vehicle if the ignition is not switched on
I dissagree. Most of the times the S is knicked driven away as far as i know
Old 03-09-2012, 01:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by s200 ool
Just a quick topic to see what kind of car trackers people use on their S2000's. I'm going to be purchasing one at some point soon and was wondering which ones people use on their own cars.

What make, how much it costs etc.

Gra.
My insurance company (LV) said that they would not insure the car unless it had a tracker fitted. When I asked them what sort of tracker, they said "oh, any tracker device will do". So I bought on of these from fleabay and fitted it myself. It works perfectly. If I call it, I get the latitude and longitude, whether the ignition is on and the speed. You can get it to do other things too, such as cut the fuel pump, but that seemed to be a recipe for trouble I thought. You can even listen in surreptitiously!
Only thing I need to do is top up the PAYG SIM occasionally, and call it now and again to see if it's still working and make sure the SIM stays activated. LV were perfectly happy with it.
Old 03-09-2012, 01:27 AM
Community Organizer

Even if i believe that no one in the forum should tell if it has one fitted or not (for obvious reasons) the main problem with this device you bought is that is too obvious once it is installed. Too much cabling which is easy to trace even if the main unit is well hidden.......
Old 03-09-2012, 01:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by S2000_FUN
Even if i believe that no one in the forum should tell if it has one fitted or not (for obvious reasons) the main problem with this device you bought is that is too obvious once it is installed. Too much cabling which is easy to trace even if the main unit is well hidden.......
Well come and try and find it. If anyone really wants to nick your car, they will. I don't care what it's got fitted to it. Even a bad tempered Alsation in the front seat will succumb to a packet of sausages. It's there really to make the insurance company happy. By the time anyone had a) realised there was one fitted and b) trashed the car in an attempt to find it, I'm not sure I would want it back anyway.
Old 03-09-2012, 02:05 AM
eho

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NineBolts
if you have a few mods on your car you might find that although declared to your insurance company, the modifications will not be covered. ie your mugen bonnet won't be replaced by another mugen bonnet if someone jumps upon or pinches it. So if you have a nice car with some expensive mods it's worth making it more recoverable.

Unless you are on a like for like modification insurance cover.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by S2000_FUN
This system incorporates a movement detector which senses the theft of the vehicle if the ignition is not switched on
I dissagree. Most of the times the S is knicked driven away as far as i know
I'm not quite sure how someone drives the car away unless they steal the keys. Most modern cars which disappear do so on the back of a low loader.

If the vehicle is being driven on the correct keys, Tracker is the only system in the UK which all police authorities have the facilities to track. Tracker's recovery record is very impressive!
Old 03-09-2012, 09:23 AM
Community Organizer

I'm not quite sure how someone drives the car away unless they steal the keys.
Unfortunately is very easy for many cars I can tell you by pm if you want and you don't have to be a an expert to do it. They told me that in a garage and they saw to me also and i was so dissaponted