UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Car tracker, what's everyone got?

Old 03-08-2012, 12:07 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Car tracker, what's everyone got?

Just a quick topic to see what kind of car trackers people use on their S2000's. I'm going to be purchasing one at some point soon and was wondering which ones people use on their own cars.

What make, how much it costs etc.

Gra.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not got one in mine, cost of tracker and yearly payments were more than the saving on the insurance.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:53 AM

I don't have one at the moment but may well fit one when I reinsure - to be honest it's down to - will the cost of the tracker outweigh the cost of the insruance discount or not?

Either way - I would go for one with GPS AND Radio transmission - so that it can still be found if it ends up in an underground car park or a shipping container.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:03 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

TBH on an 11 year old car worth £5k or less I wouldn't bother, the discount you get from insurance companies is pityfull and not worth the yearly cost. If you want it to say protect modded parts you put on they would be the first parts stripped.
Also the police response is useless, they will tell you where the car is, they won't even try to secure it.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:12 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I can agree with the points made, I'd like one with gps etc so if my S is nicked it can be found no matter what but I don't want to pay like £300-£500 pounds a year (I'm guessing that figure) if I'm only going to save £50 a year on insurance.
Old 03-08-2012, 03:09 AM

I bought my car new just on ten years ago. At the time the Tracker technician was working on the dealer's site and I asked him which was the best option to go for. He recommended Tracker Monitor. This system incorporates a movement detector which senses the theft of the vehicle if the ignition is not switched on. You register three telephone numbers with Tracker (in our case our home number and two mobiles), and, if Tracker receives a signal from the unit they phone you to alert you to a possible theft.

Installation cost £449 (in 2002), and the Duration of Ownership fee was £299 (as against an annual subscription of £99). So the total cost was £748, which equates to about £75 per year of ownership so far! Not bad value for peace of mind.

Obviously, the costs would not be so easily justifiable on an older, second hand vehicle.
Old 03-08-2012, 03:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got a snooper tracker I stick in the car if it is left overnight away from home.

No monthly charge, except for topping up the PAYG mobile sim which it uses to text any assigned mobile numbers.

Useful features like perimeter setting, and text alerts if it moves out of that perimeter and then update texts at set intervals until
it is deactivated. Can be set/unset via text commands by admin user

I can also text it and it will text me back immediately it's present GPS location.

I think it cost me about 100 - 150 quid.
Old 03-08-2012, 03:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you have a few mods on your car you might find that although declared to your insurance company, the modifications will not be covered. ie your mugen bonnet won't be replaced by another mugen bonnet if someone jumps upon or pinches it. So if you have a nice car with some expensive mods it's worth making it more recoverable.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:19 PM

Rac Trackstar.

It came in my Subaru and being that the rac unit is transferrable from car to car I've just kept it for the past few years.

Plus being a sub contracted installer for them I avoid the removal and install charges

Some brands like tracker are registered to the vehicle and cannot be transferred as this was the case with my dads Subaru. This however may have changed as it was a few years ago
Old 03-08-2012, 12:46 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

A big f@#k off angry German shepherd in the passenger seat

Quick Reply: Car tracker, what's everyone got?