UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Car Tax!!!!

Old 02-27-2004, 01:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fill in the form when you sell the car and what is there to prove?

Did you tell the DVLA the colour and reg were wrong? Were the forms sent to the DVLA to inform them of the colour and reg correct in the first place?
Did the DVLA correct the error?

I am interested as I have had problems with the DVLA but in ever case bar one the 'problem' was illegible handwriting. The exception was an unfortunate confusion.
Old 02-27-2004, 01:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't you think it ironic that Orwell's real name was Blair?

PS How many power stations do you see with catalytic converters on their pipes and don't you just love the clouds of black sh1t coming out the back of those "eco freindly diesels"?
Old 02-27-2004, 01:40 PM

Originally posted by XBy2K
Fill in the form when you sell the car and what is there to prove?
I did!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-27-2004, 01:44 PM

Originally posted by LLOYDJ
Or the micro-chip in your brain gives you an electric shock because the GPS unit says you are exceeding the speed limit!!!!!
but so true. I am sure in the not too distant future.
Old 02-27-2004, 01:48 PM

The problem is unless the government / councils do something about this the number of untaxed vehicles on our roads will increase. If you have nothing to hide then you should have nothing to fear.
Old 02-27-2004, 01:49 PM

I bet a Sinclair C5 in Silverstone is the fastest!!!!

Low car tax!!

No emissions!!

No chance of getting caught by a speed camera!!!
Old 02-27-2004, 01:57 PM
MrV

Originally posted by v7cjl
The problem is unless the government / councils do something about this the number of untaxed vehicles on our roads will increase. If you have nothing to hide then you should have nothing to fear.

Now Ive said for many years put a couple of pence on petrol and abolish tax discs
Old 02-27-2004, 02:11 PM

This legislation is all about untaxed, uninsured and abandoned cars and making sure the arseholes responsible get what they deserve.
What's the big deal about telling the DVLA you've sold the car anyway ? I'd stop being so paranoid Lloyd Motorists are persecuted in many ways. For once, I don't think this law is one of them.
Old 02-27-2004, 02:17 PM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Interesting digression into Orwell and power stations.

However, back O/T, I sympathise with a number of the views expressed.

It's true that pros will evade any measures - but this is true of professional criminals in any field. It doesn't stop us trying to manage crime. The difference here is that the vast bulk of problem cars are not used by 'pros' but by lowlife scum. Clamping would most certainly work for these people and therefore make a real impact on the problem.

I share the concern that the will to do this may not exist and that the only 'enforcement' will be carefully targetted against the law abiding middle classes. In other words, the milch cow for the government. Oh well, I can wait for a new political party. It's looking inevitable.

Filling in forms is prehistoric and it should be possible to update vehicle changes of ownership realtime, on-line or by telephone. Either method would allow issue of a reference number and proof that you had carried out the transfer.

Even if the transfer is to a non-existent person, this will be checked (the discrepancy will be established as soon as ownership disputes start) and if details don't match up the car could be based on a register to be immobilised until ownership was established.

Just think - every car IS currently registered to someone. We have a baseline. Why not do a census? Any car for whom ownership is not admitted goes on crush alert.

Immobilisation and crushing could be done at very little cost to the government. It's exactly the sort of thing traffic wardens should be involved with (spotting the cars) and you could create some employment by licensing a network of clampers and towtrucks.

Don't get me on gypsies (or people on Broadwater Farm or Moss Side or any other no-go area black, white or brown). We will be here all night.

Old 02-27-2004, 02:34 PM

Originally posted by steve_the_greek
What's the big deal about telling the DVLA you've sold the car anyway ?
What if the buyer pays cash & puts false name & address on form!

Oh No! your liable to all there fines!!

Quick Reply: Car Tax!!!!