UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Car pulling to right then left

Old 01-15-2009, 05:07 AM
bjp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car pulling to right then left

Posted this on America site by accident (Whoops!)

I have searched and searched on this topic but still need a bit of help, my S2000 2001 pulls to the right under acceleration and when I throttle off it jerks to the left, I have checked and double checked all of the pressures and everything is fine, I took the car to my garage and had the tracking looked at, which again is perfect, got the mechanic to check the car over underneath and all of the bushes and suspension seem to be in order. I then phoned my local Honda dealer who said that the next thing to check would be the Geometry but they could'nt do it because there machine was bust.

Do you think that it could be the Geometry?? and if so could anyone recomended a good place to get this looked at, I live nr Bristol but dont mind a trip out in the car if I have to.

Thanks in advance

Brad
Old 01-15-2009, 06:10 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would recommend getting the Geo checked, don't know anywhere near Bristol though. The FAQs (towards the top of the index page) have an updated set of Honda recommended geo settings that help the car to avoid tramlining (00-03 are apparently prone to this). My local tyre garage has the facilities and does not charge me to have it checked. Before you get it done, get the adjustment bolts oiled as seized bushes/bolts are not uncommon. The FAQs have alot of info about this too.

Also, raise the car (axle stands/lift) and check for seized brake calipers.

What tyres do you have? If they are different right/left then this will affect straight line capability.

HTH
Old 01-15-2009, 06:16 AM
bjp

Ok will chech in a mo
Old 01-15-2009, 06:38 AM
bjp

I have just checked the tyres I have one Dunlop Sport on the near side and a Continental sport on the Off side. Both the fronts are Continental sports. Do you think this is my problem??
Old 01-15-2009, 06:54 AM

Yes I would put money on it
Old 01-15-2009, 06:57 AM
bjp

Umm looks like im gunna have to then.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:58 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Different tyres will no doubt compound your problem. I would get the Dunlop taken off in favour of a Continental.

However, tyres with different wear (due to age) on either side will also cause you problems. Have you had the car long? If not, I would bet that the Geo is out and/or poss. sticky caliper(s) which has caused the nearside rear to wear faster than the rest and the previous owner thought any old tyre would do?!

The S is quite finnicky about correct tyres/pressures/Geo.

You may want to read up about tyres (there's so much info on the forum about which are best) and think about replacing both the rear tyres in one go to get an even wear pattern.

If it does/doesn't sort out the problem, get the Geo checked and see if you've got sticky brakes anyway...it won't cost much (if anything).

HTH

Matt
Old 01-15-2009, 07:00 AM

Where abouts are you? I have a set of 16" wheels and tyres, if you wanted to try before you buy a new set for the back you could borrow them.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:08 AM
bjp

Thanks for all your help guys Ive only had the car a few days I live nr Bristol so Bed's a bit far, thanks for offer though. I think I will try and live with it for a bit and buy some tyres when I have some more cash.

Loving the car, keep hitting my elbow on the washer thingy though.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:10 AM

There is a FAQ somewhere about how to disconnect the washers - never use mine except by accident!

Quick Reply: Car pulling to right then left