UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Car Lost Power

Old 08-05-2005, 12:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Lost Power

Was caning it down the motorway last night, 5th gear VTEC, when the car suddenly lost power, the accelerator did nothing. I had to stick my hazards on and move over to the left hand lane, drop out of VTEC and all was normal again.

Is this the infamous MAP sensor issue or does it sound like something more serious? It has plenty of oil, and I have a standard intake. One thing of note is that I was low on petrol (no bars on the guage) but when I filled up I got 46.5 litres in so there was quite a bit left.
Old 08-05-2005, 01:57 AM

I am having a MAP Sensor problem and its really beginning to annoy me. I am getting hesitation and jerky driving, gave the MAP a whack again and its seems better, but it seem to re-occur to often. The hardest thing will be to get the dealer to feel the problem as sometimes it just makes the engine feel a little rough and hesitant.

I did have it quite badly when overtaking in 4th VTEC and the power felt like it cut off. I backed off and accelerated again and it was fine. Again a quick whack of the MAP seemed to sort it.
Old 08-05-2005, 03:02 AM

When you say a whack, how hard?
Old 08-05-2005, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by Asterix,Aug 5 2005, 11:02 AM
When you say a whack, how hard?
Well.. hit with the handle of a screwdriver kinda hard, not full force!
Old 08-05-2005, 04:52 AM

Doesn't sound like the MAP sensor to me !

I think the MAP problem is described as a power drain or spluttering for a short amount of time.

But it seems to be an engine loss?

BTW 46.5 L is am DAM lot of fuel. Ive never filled up with 43 L.....
Old 08-05-2005, 04:55 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Guys - do not hit the MAP! That instrument governs the fuelling of your car. If its starts to under read and you start getting detonation - its an expensive mistake!

The ECU can go into safe mode when these sensors fail, and that will limit power / VTEC.

If its overfuelling its more likely to be a lambda sensor fault.

Also check your oil level.

MB
Old 08-05-2005, 05:40 AM

This wasn't stuttering or hesitation, it was a full on power loss, like the accelerator had just been disconnected but only for maybe 5 seconds, the time it took for the revs to drop below 6k. By then I had reached my junction and left the motorway. I VTECed again before I got to the petrol station and everything was normal, as was oil level. I had no problems this morning but it was very wet so VTEC was kept to a minimum.

I don't think it was low fuel, the tank holds 50 litres AFAIK, and an empty tank normally causes stuttering first.

I'm a bit worried as I have to drive to Cornwall and back next weekend, 6hrs or so each way....
Old 08-05-2005, 05:51 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

No engine light?

MB
Old 08-05-2005, 05:58 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by moff,Aug 5 2005, 10:57 AM
I am having a MAP Sensor problem and its really beginning to annoy me. I am getting hesitation and jerky driving, gave the MAP a whack again and its seems better, but it seem to re-occur to often. The hardest thing will be to get the dealer to feel the problem as sometimes it just makes the engine feel a little rough and hesitant.

I did have it quite badly when overtaking in 4th VTEC and the power felt like it cut off. I backed off and accelerated again and it was fine. Again a quick whack of the MAP seemed to sort it.
I did have a similar issue a while back.

It seemed almost weekly that I was having to unscrew the MAP and twat it/blow it out.

Just as I was about to sort a replacement from a scrapper, it got better.

If I remember, I may get a cheap spare one just in case.
Old 08-05-2005, 06:05 AM

Nope no engine light.

Quick Reply: Car Lost Power