UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Car loosing power in the heat

Old 06-18-2005, 10:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's an issue I have every day (well not at the moment as it's in the garage having a new bumper fitted!).

The car seems to choke and then frees up the further you go.

I haven't had tha chance to drive the S in cool conditions yet. Looking forward to the extra oomph and response.
Old 06-19-2005, 04:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's not just the air intake temp, but the coolant temp too. The stock ECU starts retarding the ignition timing once the coolant temp is past 80C. With similar effects from intake temps on top, you can easily have more than 10 degrees ignition retard. Any 'old school' peeps will probably remember the feeling of getting the ignition timing right when it's been off a couple of degrees on a dizzy based car... multiply that effect up and you get an idea how much the effect can be of retarding that much ignition.

It's also compounded by the emissions requirements... as standard the engine is setup to run hotter than is ideal for power as it gives slightly better emissions performance.

-Brian.
Old 06-19-2005, 04:39 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This is going to sound like a pisstake but its the gods honest truth....my mower did this yesterday - I knew why, hot air and all that but it just didn`t have the pull it normally does.

It is only a 150 quid cheapie but its in its 7th season of flawless performance - all it asks is an oil drop once a season, a new spark plug and a swapped airfilter.

Yesterday though it just wasn't on form. Plus I also put Optimax in it, not for any reason apart from when I last put fuel in the S, I took a can with me to the petrol station and bunged a fivers worth in it for the gardening stuff.

Maybe the ron rating has caused ignition retardation? It def isn't electronically timed though so don't consider that.

But, my hedge trimmer started better with Optimax though - however that is a two stroke, unlike the mower 4 stroke.

Possible hot air and high octane fuel is not a good combo for a 4 stroke petrol mower - yet good for a 2 stroke hedge trimmer.

Strange world eh? Full of surprises.
Old 06-19-2005, 05:18 AM

You'll be Zainoing them next.
Old 06-19-2005, 09:24 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by baptistsan,Jun 19 2005, 01:18 PM
You'll be Zainoing them next.
then trolling about Qualcast being a better marque than Honda...
Old 06-19-2005, 02:20 PM

[QUOTE=cheshire_carper,Jun 19 2005, 01:39 PM](...)Plus I also put Optimax in it, not for any reason apart from when I last put fuel in the S, I took a can with me to the petrol station and bunged a fivers worth in it for the
Old 06-19-2005, 02:29 PM

Yer fags get lit .3 of a second quicker

Bizarrely (although maybe not considering the weather), I got a lumpy spell in 2nd yesterday as well. Wasn't due to traffic though, but I had bounced the limiter off 9k a minute beforehand
Old 06-19-2005, 02:36 PM

The mugen thermostat and thermo switch may help with your heat soak issues - I don't seem to have too much of a problem unless I have been sitting in traffic for at least 30 mins but even then it clears up as soon as the car picks up speed.

The combination switches the fan on sooner and opens the thermostat earlier - seems to help the car run more efficiently.
Old 08-05-2005, 12:23 AM
Xd

Noticed when the fans eventually kick in there is a blast of warm air across the engine, where does this get vented if anywhere?
Old 08-05-2005, 01:06 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by unclebob,Jun 19 2005, 11:20 PM
Has anyone tried using optimax in a zippo? Any performance gains?
Much better flame, but unless you advance the flint, it's very hard to light.

Quick Reply: Car loosing power in the heat