UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Car feeling very heavy!

Old 09-06-2007, 04:38 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Hop on the bus Gus, make a new plan Stan.... la la la!
Old 09-06-2007, 04:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Re-set the ECU - I had a problem with mine not pulling at all properly and this sorted it.

If brakes are dodgy, the wheel itself will get hot, will bind and be hard to turn - also driving miles they will stink awful, as someone has already said. Does the handbrake release normally?

For ages, we never had super unleaded here and the lower octane I had to use didn't really steal much power in any obvious way, plus if you've driven 450 miles, I assume you put petrol in at more than one garage so the possibility of it being petrol sounds a bit unlikely.

Anyway, going topless in the South of France is what it's all about and I hope this isn't spoiling things too much
Old 09-06-2007, 06:03 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by alexdale,Sep 6 2007, 10:05 AM
Well I'm not going to claim to be the strongest male about, but when I tried to turn them it was really hard. But I thought also that because just one wheel was up in the air it would add to the problem? With the handbrake off it seems to wheel ok when you push it. Since I've had the probem I've driven down to the south of France. Thats like 450 mles, I assumed that if they were seizing the discs would be f**ked by now? It is so annoying! especially being in another country and all.
The car's got an LSD.

Try again with both wheels in the air.
Old 09-06-2007, 06:05 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Having said that & assuming it wasn't THAT short of oil, the misfire points to crap French petrol.

Pop over to De. & get some 100RON Optimax!
Old 09-06-2007, 06:15 AM

have you checked the boot? maybe 20 immigratns jammed in the back...

ok not helpful but woud have thought a dealer should have picked up anything like brakes and by now you'd have fried them proper anyway.

maybe map whack or put up with till in uk when you can have it looked at by your normal garage
Old 09-06-2007, 06:26 AM
MB

May be lots of things!
Old 09-06-2007, 08:31 AM

Right have taken the car out for a long drive to see if I can report anything. The car still does not pull right whether at low or high speeds. It will not accelerate quickly and feels heavy with light throttle or flat out. The car will roll quite easilly free wheeling or clutch dipped. The juddering unfortunately does not happen on cue, but when I managed to get it to do so dipping the clutch did not seem to make a difference. Noises I could note is a clicking sound from back wheels. Sounds like a stone in both tryes, and when the engine is off and car locked up an intemitent humm comes from the back somewhere. This may be perfectly normal but have not stuck around the car after driving to notice. The brake dics, calipers and alloys were all very hot after driving. But it was a long drive and it is very hot out here. The discs do not seem to look any different than normal. I am planning on just leaving it and taking it to a ENGLISH dealer when I'm back. In the meantime how do I reset the ecu? Disconnect the bat? and any suggestions on my possible unique noises lol cheers
Old 09-06-2007, 09:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by alexdale,Sep 6 2007, 04:31 PM
Right have taken the car out for a long drive to see if I can report anything. The car still does not pull right whether at low or high speeds. It will not accelerate quickly and feels heavy with light throttle or flat out. The car will roll quite easilly free wheeling or clutch dipped. The juddering unfortunately does not happen on cue, but when I managed to get it to do so dipping the clutch did not seem to make a difference. Noises I could note is a clicking sound from back wheels. Sounds like a stone in both tryes, and when the engine is off and car locked up an intemitent humm comes from the back somewhere. This may be perfectly normal but have not stuck around the car after driving to notice. The brake dics, calipers and alloys were all very hot after driving. But it was a long drive and it is very hot out here. The discs do not seem to look any different than normal. I am planning on just leaving it and taking it to a ENGLISH dealer when I'm back. In the meantime how do I reset the ecu? Disconnect the bat? and any suggestions on my possible unique noises lol cheers
Can anyone comment on what happens when the diff goes bad?

Could it be binding due to a bearing? Lack of oil? Is it hot?
Old 09-06-2007, 10:02 AM
MB

The lack of power on light or hard throttle concerns me a bit... I hope its something simple and not lost compression or picked up somewhere due to low oil.

The whine is your fuel pump - quite normal.

Clicking from the back can be hub nuts or the diff.

If it rolls freely then doesn't sound drivetrain related, but you do mention the discs and wheels are hot.

ECU reset can by done by pulling the ECU fuse or disconneting the battery.

I would now give that a try.

Take it out again for a short run - if it still does it then let us know.

How much frog fuel is in it?
Old 09-06-2007, 12:19 PM

I will give that a go and keep you posted whether in France or the UK (God bless it lol). Thanks for the help! As i mentioned have only recently registered, but have already found that it is well worth it. Cheers to everyone! Al

Quick Reply: Car feeling very heavy!