UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Car feeling very heavy!

Old 09-06-2007, 01:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car feeling very heavy!

Hey guys, Here is one for you. For the last couple of weeks I have been getting my car ready to take to the south of france. By this I mean I got the windows slightly tinted (which looks sweet!) Had the car mopped etc The car looked and felt mint. I started my drive down and I couldn't be more excited. About 20 miles into france I noticed the car was juddering slightly at high speeds (80mph) I also started to notice a slight lack of power, when I tried to overtake on the motor way I really had to floor it! I pulled into a petrol station to see what it felt like at low speeds. The only way I can describe it is as if the car still had its handbrake on? The car felt really heavy, I thought someone had tied a rope to the back and I was pulling an artic! The car will not accelerate quickly even flat out and wheel spin is a struggle. I took it into a Honda dealer in France and they said they could not fault it bar an abs switch fault and a top up of oil. But even after that the car feels the same! I took it back again and they said they still couldn't find a problem. Its drivng me mad cos everyone keeps saying 'sure ur not imagining it?' And I know i'm not! Any suggestions guys, I'm new to this but knew you guys would be the ones to ask! Cheers
Old 09-06-2007, 01:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are the brakes hot? Could be a seized caliper. You could jack up each wheel and see if it spins freely.
Old 09-06-2007, 01:30 AM

Have you blocked the air intake somehow? Check the air filter box???
Old 09-06-2007, 01:38 AM

I have checked the air filter and nothing apparent is blocking it. As for the brakes, I have been checking them often. They do get very hot but that is just the discs not the actual calipers. I have jacked all wheels up, fronts move very easily but the backs are a struggle to turn! But I just assumed that was because they are rear wheel drive? Cheers
Old 09-06-2007, 01:38 AM

Are you putting in the wrong fuel? You usually get 98 RON in Europe, but it's not always obvious which is which and in Germany at least you can get 93 RON.
Old 09-06-2007, 01:43 AM

I'm no exactly sure of what they call it out here in France, But I have been making sure that it always says 98. That was my first thought but it was doing it before I put french fuel in. Cheers
Old 09-06-2007, 01:47 AM

Any moisture on the contacts etc, may be knackered plugs!
Old 09-06-2007, 01:49 AM

How do I check for that? Take out the plugs and just feel them?
Old 09-06-2007, 01:50 AM

Should the back wheels free wheel when jacked or should they be hard to move?
Old 09-06-2007, 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by alexdale,Sep 6 2007, 10:50 AM
Should the back wheels free wheel when jacked or should they be hard to move?
Up to a point. They'll be heavier than the front due to the driveshafts and diff, but you shouldn't struggle to move them. And from what you said about the brakes getting hot and feeling like the handbrake is on, it does point the finger at the rear brakes.

Quick Reply: Car feeling very heavy!