UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Car covers?

Old 10-22-2009, 04:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Car covers?

Car will be parked up for about 4 weeks as of next week. Sadly i don't have access to a garage, but will be well off the road and out of harms way (as much as it can be anyway!).

What are the genreal views on car covers? any good? worth it for 4 weeks? I wont use at home as will not be left for long periods like this.

Worth getting a proper S2K one, or jsut any old tat? or even jsut some tarpaulin to keep the rain off? - assume it will sweat under that and not be good (ventilation wise).

Unless someone has a nice dehumidified garage they want to lend me....bristol area??! hahaha.

Cheers

Phil
Old 10-22-2009, 04:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

4 weeks should be ok. If left under cover for a long time lack of air circulation can give rise to issues; dampness through condensation from temperature changes etc and a smelly cabin.

You say it is off the road. That's good. An old neighbour of mine would cover his weekend chariot from one week to the next. One saturday he removed cover and car had numerous dents from where it had been walked on. He had walked past it daily and not noticed until cover removed.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:56 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would be petrified of scratching the paintwork with it.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't by a cheapie !!Mine cost £140 but it 4 layers and none scratchy...Lets the damp out and the sun of plus the car looks clean when it comes of ..
Old 10-22-2009, 06:19 AM

Cover mine during the week because I commute on the tube.
Parked under tree on drive so gets covered in sap if left uncovered.

Spent £140 for a multi-layer that's soft inside and breaths. Seems pretty good.

With all the car park dents and stone chips on mine I don't think I'd even notice if someone did actually walk all over it.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got the blue s2000 cover and TBH ts rubbish. It isn't waterproof and I get the feeling it'll blow off fairly easily.

I'm using the S as a daily drive ATM as the Prelude is having a gearbox overhaul, however when the S goes back to being my toy, I don't think I'll bother with using the blue cover again, I might pimp for one of those £140 ones though (early crimbo present me thinks).
Old 10-22-2009, 08:33 AM

A whole can of worms this subject - the one thing that is critical when it comes to covering a car is to make sure you wash and dry it thoroughly as even small grit particles will act like sandpaper when putting cover on/off and when windy.

In my personal experience using a cover outdoors (of any quality) causes condensation. The high end covers are breathable and to certain extent will allow the car to dry under the cover. However, you need a warm day for this to happen! The most I would ever leave a car covered for outdoors is 3 - 4 weeks to prevent any long term paint damage.

Carcoon's are one step better as they don't come into contact with the cars body and they circulate air constantly, the downside being that they aren't cheap and need a power supply to run the fans.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:39 AM

For 4 weeks i wouldn't bother as long as its not under a tree. I probably wouldn't even then.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:42 AM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

I have one which I'll sell if you want it

It's a covercraft one, reputedly the best

£60?
Old 10-22-2009, 10:20 AM
B B

Consider that a car under a cover and parked in a public place will just draw attention to itself.
Ideally you want it to be invisible so don't have it too clean and polished and then just park it up.
Consider removing a vital engine component to combat theft.

On old cars you could remove the rotor arm, or as I did wire a secret on/off switch into the LT distributor circuit.

Quick Reply: Car covers?