UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Car Care & Detailing

Old 03-29-2014, 01:46 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd +1 chipex but if you don't need the paint, def consider Langka.
Old 03-29-2014, 03:01 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cheshire_carper
I'd +1 chipex but if you don't need the paint, def consider Langka.
Be careful with Langka not to let it get on your headlights as it reacts with the plastic and cracks them.
Old 03-29-2014, 07:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone any ideas on how to get this out if the rear lights? Looks like sand
Old 03-29-2014, 01:05 PM

Going down the stone chip repair package route this kit gets good reviews over on detailing world forum...about half the price of chipex.

http://www.paints4u.com/ProductDetai...productID=6912

To repair them to the best finish and longevity I would do them the same way ammo does them in his YouTube vid though. Especially if you already have the touch up colour
Old 04-25-2014, 02:55 AM

Sorry for the delay in my responses!!

Originally Posted by tozerman
OK, I am shit at touching in stone chips, I am left with lots of tiny pimples where I have put too much paint on, is there any way to get rid of them without painting or anything extreme etc ?
As it has been mentioned, if you have already filled in the chips the best way to reduce how much they stand out is by wet sanding then polishing.

I would start with 2500 grit paper well soaked and the paintwork flooded with warm soapy water (simple car shampoo will do) then lightly rub the area until the raised section of paint has leveled off, be careful not to take away too much though.

After this refine the wet sanding with 3000 grit paper, followed by polishing via DA to be safe not to remove too much clear coat - a cutting compound then a finishing polish to ensure no buffer trails or marring has been left in the paintwork after sanding and cutting.

Old 04-25-2014, 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by sound_wave
The swirls are my biggest problem - I use a Porter Cable, a Sonus orange pad and the meguiars Dual Action cleaner polish, but there always seems to be swirls left.

Any suggestions as to what to use that will get shut of them? I don't have a garage or car port, so washing, claying and polishing all need to be able to be done same day?

Admittedly it'll have to wait until the summer, as the car's got a layer of Gtechniq c1 crystal lacquer and C2v3 on it...
Depending on how bad the swirls are and how thick your clear coat is will depend on how aggressive a compound you can use to eliminate the swirls, with a rotary machine you are likely to cause buffer trails / holograms whilst cutting and polishing so a light finishing polish will most likely be required to achieve the full correction once the majority of the defects have been corrected.

Check out my website if you are not confident in doing it yourself, an enhancement detail would be a perfect solution to bring the paint that new car finish again. S2KUK members get discount

Old 04-25-2014, 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by BenRNBP
For me it's living in a hard water area - how do I not get water spots for those in-between washes ? Do I really have to buy a big fluffy towel and dab my car dry with it or are there better tips - like something I can add to a rinse
In short, a drying towel is a great solution, once dried I always go over with a quick detailer to remove any water spotting.

A lot of hype goes around for the Optimum No Rinse Wash & Wax however which does leave good results!

Heres a link: Optimum No Rinse - 8oz

Old 04-25-2014, 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by 2ndy

Anyone any ideas on how to get this out if the rear lights? Looks like sand
There's no real "easy fix" for this unfortunately, over time condensation and grime will get through the seals on your lights and cause the exact issue you have.

The best way to get rid of this without it coming back any time soon is to remove the tail lights, strip and clean them up and fit new seals, this can prove a pain in terms of future condensation building up depending on where and when you decide to clean them all up. A popular choice to re-sealing is applying 2 layers of plumbers tape to aid the prevention of moisture getting in.

Old 04-25-2014, 03:42 AM
emc

Quick question about the leather seats, I've done some searching and it looks like loads of the answers for this issue were deleted/missing.

I placed a bag on my seat on a short journey and one of the feet on the bag has dimpled the seat. It's relatively small, about the size of a 5/10p piece but is relatively noticeable. How do I go about removing this dimple?
Old 04-25-2014, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by emc
Quick question about the leather seats, I've done some searching and it looks like loads of the answers for this issue were deleted/missing.

I placed a bag on my seat on a short journey and one of the feet on the bag has dimpled the seat. It's relatively small, about the size of a 5/10p piece but is relatively noticeable. How do I go about removing this dimple?
I will be honest, I have never has to try this myself but have seen some good results from others attempts using this method:

Mix around a 3-1 or 4-1 solution of isopropyl alcohol and warm/hot water. The alcohol helps the water to penetrate and to evaporate.

Soak a clean microfiber towel in the water mix, ring half the solution out so not to completely soak anything and place the microfiber over where the indentation is

Depending on the size, you can use a small ball or a spoon and gently roll/move this over the indentation to stretch the leather and help it return to its normal flat and smooth state.

Remove the towel and inspect, if the leather goes a bit like a prune, do not worry it like sitting in the bath for a long time, once dried it will go back to normal.

Once dried, give the whole seat a good clean and a condition to keep you seats looking their best and remove any isopropyl residue (which could send the leather a little crisp if not fully removed)

Get some pictures up if you have them and give this a go

Quick Reply: Car Care & Detailing