UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Car is beginning to fall apart

Old 09-11-2009, 09:22 AM

Received 654 Likes on 569 Posts

my car is an 01. its had a new rear wheel bearing (i previously whacked that on a kurb) and two sets of rear discs. i've stripped the rear calipers twice now. it needs a tct. in my view the tct and calipers are design faults. its done about 40k and been both a garage queen and daily driver in its 7 years with me.

cats are cheaply replaced, dealer items are joke prices. sounds like you've been unlucky with the ebc stuff

roof going is the price of a convertible

its just irritating you that its all at once and the brakes issue has recurred but i think my S has been nothing short of fantastic. its only an opinion though :)
Old 09-11-2009, 11:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LTB,Sep 11 2009, 07:32 AM
Anybody know where the best places is to source one of those Berk high flow jobbies ?
Directly at the Berk's Website.

Its around 200 euros including postage to get it over to Greece. Around 175 GBP for you guys.

With Honda being silly and keeping such a high price at just a catalytic converter this is a one way street really. Either that or a used Honda one. I would go for the Berk's, nothing like a new item
Old 09-11-2009, 11:15 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by lovegroova,Sep 11 2009, 03:28 PM
Jorge had the car up on the ramp and showed me the innards of the cat rattling around (when he tapped it with a metal bar - poor kitty) and I can hear it rattling around at about 4krpm which was what prompted me to take it in in the first place.

He did check all the heat shields as well but sadly it was not that.

It's interesting that the folk who regard these things as maintainance are those who spend a lot on their cars doing modifications and so on. Not a criticism, more an observation.

We'll see how the warranty claim goes and if it goes as expected, thanks to all for the advice on getting one for a lot less, it's much appreciated.
It really depends how you look upon these things;
Old 09-11-2009, 11:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cat went on my 05 with 35k on the clock. quick call round the breakers got a 2 year old cat with 15k on the clock for
Old 09-11-2009, 01:13 PM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

[QUOTE=Nick Graves,Sep 11 2009, 08:15 PM] It really depends how you look upon these things;
Old 09-11-2009, 11:36 PM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

[QUOTE=lovegroova,Sep 11 2009, 10:13 PM] Well, it wasn't
Old 09-12-2009, 01:13 AM

You should have kept on top of it over the years, neglect costs money.

Old 09-12-2009, 01:37 AM

The only "old" cars I've had exposure to have been the Mondeo and the Land Cruiser (other than cars I owned years and years ago which I can't remember), as I've had either company cars or new cars for a while now, so I don't know what is expected of cars as they get older - the Scoob is 3.5 years old and not showing any signs of wear yet.

However the only problems the Mondeo had related to a leak in the boot when it rained and a slippy clutch caused by backing up a hill in the dark in the Welsh mountains in November - i.e. not the cars fault. The LC doesn't have any problems and it's now 8 years old (famous last words !!).

Things like wheel bearings I would expect dependent on mileage etc. (the 7 seems to go through them at a rate of knots), roof is just part of it being a soft top (other than the rubbing thing on the newer ones), not sure about the TCT - my S3's chain started to go when it was only a couple of years old and was done under warranty.

I suppose the argument is - how is a 7 year old S holding up against a 7 year old "average" car? Some things I would expect to be wearing out quicker in comparison, but others I wouldn't.

People have always held the S up as an example of good Honda build quality, but I was never impressed - mine developed a lot of faults within 6 months of purchase (new) and the quality of the build, and the poor quality of the dealers attitude and work, were part of why I got rid of it.

However it sounds like you've had a bit of bad luck with yours Simon
Old 09-12-2009, 02:17 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

Not bad luck, as JD and the others have said, it's just things wearing out (the calipers weren't bad luck, just poor workmanship from EBC).

Like you, I've not had a car this old before really, other than my CRX, and part of the reason I sold that was that it was about to get expensive to run, and Honda released the CTR.

Just a bit of a change from thel exceptionally low running costs I've been used to.
Old 09-12-2009, 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by dreamer,Sep 12 2009, 01:37 AM

People have always held the S up as an example of good Honda build quality, but I was never impressed - mine developed a lot of faults within 6 months of purchase (new) and the quality of the build, and the poor quality of the dealers attitude and work, were part of why I got rid of it.
Interesting comment!....

People hold similar views about German Marques - ie how many times are we told by motoring hacks about Tuetonic build quality and German engineering, yet
I've had several offerings from the Fatherland and have been unimpressed to say the least.

A few years ago we had an E46 Beemer - 'The ultimate Driving machine' with it's 'Quality Bavarian engineering' yet it was by far the worst piece of tin I have ever owned in over 30 years of driving, constant breakdowns, oil and water leaks combined with all manner of electrical gremlins means I will NEVER let a blue and white propeller darken my drive again, yet I'm Still told that these overpriced, overated Bavarian Sierras are the last word in quality and reliability...... interestingly by many people who have never even owned one.

Dont believe the hype..

Quick Reply: Car is beginning to fall apart