UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

car back after blown engine replaced- not happy

Old 06-30-2004, 06:13 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

that is something i may raise at a later date.

At this point in time all i want is to get my car back in the condition it arrived in the garage, but with a new, correctly installed and running engine.
Old 06-30-2004, 07:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Point them towards the tech faq
Old 06-30-2004, 08:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

muppets!
Old 06-30-2004, 10:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by lower
talking to honda uk, they have regional technical experts who can visit the dealership if they have problems. this is the first option that honda offers the dealer to help them out when they have this kind of problem.
Normally when you have a technical fault first stop is the mechanic and he'll just follow a trouble shooting flow chart. If that doesn't work they'll ring a Technical centre for advice. If they can't get an answer from that then they'll maybe get someone from the manufacturing plant to come and have a look and try to work it out

I do the latter for Toyota
Old 06-30-2004, 11:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by neil_s2k
Point them towards the tech faq
Erm, but dealers do get somethings right the tech faq doesn't, like when the wind deflector became standard.

Run-in oil for a replacement short block is a different issue to normal running in. The dealership getting that wrong, is minor in relation to the possible problems with the engine build and installation.

I've seen one S2000 which had the short block replaced. They neglected to install the idler pulley onto the chaincase. This lead to some head scratching for them to route the auxillary drive belt, as the belt they had was too long. They got the shorter belt for cars without air con (in case you're removing the air con, you can just order the shorter belt from Honda - no need to pay Spoon or Mugen prices.), and managed to route the belt. But this car still had the air con compressor on. They did manage to get the belt on. But with one minor problem - the belt passed over the wrong side of the water pump pulley. They'd setup the engine with the water pump running backwards....

Thankfully, the water pump still pumped enough running backwards to not cause any damage. The fault was found a few weeks later, and the dealer happily found and fitted the idler pulley, a new full length belt, and the car's perfect. So it sounds worse than it turned out.... but this kind of cockup does happen.

-Brian.
Old 07-06-2004, 10:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by neil_s2k,Jun 29 2004, 02:45 PM
Is there an NSX dealer anywhere near you? If so speak to them, tell them the problem and see if they can pull strings with Honda UK to get this problem sorted.
I wouldn't be sure that the fact that the dealer is an authorised NSX dealer means a lot. There were 5 originally but the number has now increased to at least 10 and the brand new Brindley Honda in the centre of Brum (opened its doors on Monday) told me that they could service NSXs - I'm not so sure. In my experience if you find a garage who have a competent mechanic - obviously not Kettering Honda since they forgot to check compression on a rebuilt engine - you stick with them.
Old 07-08-2004, 12:37 AM

the latest on this is that they have now discovered a faulty lifter. this part is being replaced today so i should know more soon. in the mean time i have been on to the general manager of the dealership who has offered to extend the 30 day return clause so that if they can't get the car back on the road in the next few days or i am not happy with it when i get it back i can have my money back or get the car replaced. this is the result i was looking for.

I think at the end of the day i would rather have my car with a new engine and clutch back than take on a car of similar age and mileage. however, if i have the feeling that when i get the car back something is not right, then i will invoke the exchange clause and get a new car.
Old 07-08-2004, 12:39 AM

brian, it is not just a short block, it is also a new head. it is a complete new engine that has been supplied as a seperate head and block. So the runnning in oil issue does apply in this case i would say.
Old 07-08-2004, 01:18 AM
Administrator

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

Rich have you spoken to HondaUK? worth doing IMO
Old 07-08-2004, 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by AquilaEagle,Jul 8 2004, 09:18 AM
Rich have you spoken to HondaUK? worth doing IMO
i have spoken to honda uk repeatedly. they have done sweet FA other than log the fact that i have been dissatified with the service receievd from kettering honda. when i spoke to Honda UK on tuesday about how i go about requesting a replacement car they basically said it wasn;t their problem and it was an issue between me and the dealer. my repsonse was that it is their product that they manufactured and that the dealer is only their agent. secondly, if they have supplied a faulty replacement engine then it is even more their responsibility. they didn't argue with this. however, i have had the response that i wanted from the dealer re replacement if required so i can't really see what else honda uk would do for me.

Quick Reply: car back after blown engine replaced- not happy