UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

car back after blown engine replaced- not happy

Old 06-29-2004, 07:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

muppets!
Old 06-29-2004, 08:32 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

honda uk contacted. they have said they will contact the dealership tomorrow and see what they can do.

watch this space.
Old 06-29-2004, 12:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by neil_s2k
Is there an NSX dealer anywhere near you? If so speak to them, tell them the problem and see if they can pull strings with Honda UK to get this problem sorted.
Old 06-29-2004, 12:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by lower
this saga just goes on and on. the molybdenum arrived this morning, they changed the oil and reset the tappets. the result is that the noise has not gone away and the car is now misfiring because they think they have set one bank of valves too tight. they now think that the tappets are not the problem.
There's at least a 1 thou of leeway past the min spec before you get any problems.... if they do have any 'fluffing' from the valve adjustment, then they're really made a mess of it!

Good luck. I've given up on Honda dealers/Honda UK. After over a month of chasing on my last problem, I'm sorting it myself - I want it right and didn't want to waste one more moment with the car being butched by the ignorant. Found another problem today - the dealership hadn't bolted the primary o2 sensor cable bracket onto the new gearbox.... not serious compared to other problems... but what are they doing? 'Oh I've a bolt left over, never mind'

-Brian.
Old 06-30-2004, 12:41 AM

they have obviously cocked up the valve adjustement and it also hasn't made the rattle go away so it looks like the rattle is something else, though god knows what.

talking to honda uk, they have regional technical experts who can visit the dealership if they have problems. this is the first option that honda offers the dealer to help them out when they have this kind of problem.
Old 06-30-2004, 01:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a metallic rattle on my 1st S. Was always around 5k+. Took it in they could never solve it. In the end I got another one.

Keep the news coming...........................and good luck.

G
Old 06-30-2004, 05:23 AM

at last the garage are starting to make some sense after contact with honda technical. they have carried out a compression test and found that one cylinder is down on compression which means that there is either a problem with the valves or the piston in the bore. they are pulling the head this afternoon and will come back to me with more info. they are also giving me all the technical details of what they are doing which is good as it is giving me more confidence that they know what they are doing and are not just trying to fob me off.

apparantly, later s2000 engines have had some problems with sticking valves, which could be the problem in this case.

thanks christ i rejected the car when i went to collect it. if i had gone with what they said about running it for 500 miles with the wrong oil, badly set tappets, a funny rattle and compression problems who knows what damage could have been done.

richard
Old 06-30-2004, 05:34 AM

So have they admitted they put the wrong oil in? If so, that is unbelievable as pretty much every S2000 owner I have met knows that you start with natural and move to synthetic, I would be very concerned if the Honda dealers/engineers overlooked this.
Old 06-30-2004, 05:52 AM

quite

hence the frustration and concern i have shown in this thread!!
Old 06-30-2004, 05:58 AM

I see.

That is really poor, you should seek compensation.

Quick Reply: car back after blown engine replaced- not happy