UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

car back after blown engine replaced- not happy

Old 06-24-2004, 11:31 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default car back after blown engine replaced- not happy

went to pick up my car after having its engine replaced under warranty last night. checked for scratches etc. no damage. drove off. 1 mile down the road i think ' thats a loud diesel ahead of me'. no its my engine rattling.

car taken back to garage. 'oh sir, the engines a bit tight because its new'.

'no its f*cking not, i would not accept a new car with an engine that sounds like that. i would walk away from a used car with an engine that sounds like that' is my reply.

upshot of it is i rejected the car and they will look at it again today.

secondly, they have filled the engine with fully synthetic oil. i was under the impression that a new engine has mineral oil in it up until the first service interval and that it will not run in properly with fully synthetic. i have a call into honda technical at the moment on exactly that.

how angry am i? absolutly fuming. i have been without my car for 6 weeks now and they have not fitted the engine properly. if it is anything more than anything minor like a badly adjusted tappet i shall go mad. and the car is not leaving the garage until i have got to the bottom of this oil issue either. all the confidence in kettering honda knowing what they are doing has gone straight out of the window. what else might they have done wrong.

rant over.

richard
Old 06-24-2004, 11:49 PM
Ade

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Blimey, Richard. Doesn't sound good. Where did you take it to?

AFAIK new engines ceratinly need mineral and there should be a special addidtive to help running in.
Old 06-24-2004, 11:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My garage insists that I only use fully synthetic! Now done 6000 + miles and no problems. Also hardly using any oil as synthetic oil does not "burn" as mineral does.

Horses for courses I reckon on the question of oil!
Old 06-25-2004, 12:03 AM
Ade

[QUOTE]Originally posted by AdrianEagle
My garage insists that I only use fully synthetic!
Old 06-25-2004, 12:55 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

so have i got an 04 engine? i doubt it.

kettering honda is the garage. i was being very patient with them as my brother in law works for the same company and had had a word with them and asked them to do their best for me, which the promised they would. however, after yesterdays debacle, i wonder how good their best is.
Old 06-25-2004, 12:56 AM

Not sure if its changed for an 04, but def before the change it should be mineral.

The running in compund and the minerals in the oil coat the inside of the engine and fills in the pours in the metals surface.

Any dealer worth know should know this, i asked the question and me dealer answered correctly without prompting.
Old 06-25-2004, 01:11 AM

I'd always thougt that Honda engines were bullet proof.

IIRC Clarkson said that Honda have never had an engine replaced in the "isle of man" test.
Old 06-25-2004, 01:14 AM

No, he said they'd never had a VTEC failure.

Hope you get the engine sorted, I'd like to say you've been unlucky with your dealer, but I think this is the norm.

Have you thought of asking Honda UK if one of the 5 NSX dealers can do the engine, as these are meant to be centres of excellence.
Old 06-25-2004, 01:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is indeed a running in compound in the oil of new cars, widely thought to be molybdenum (sp) though as far as I'm aware, Honda have never disclosed what it is. Honda dealers certainly don't know what it is and don't stock it as I recall from previous posts on the issue.

The running in substance is put in the engine prior to new fully assembled cars leaving the factory I would imagine. I know the engines are shipped from Japan originally, but I can't imagine them being shipped with oil in - I could be wrong though.

If this was a replacement short engine, (just block and pistons) then there's no way I can see that this addititive is going to be put in by the dealership.
Old 06-25-2004, 02:14 AM

Cedric - dealerships do and can get hold of the running in additive - I had it put in after my first service (3750) - some small 800 ml bottle of additive with Japanese writing on it. I watched them put it in and even took a look at the bottle - not that I could understand it - it had a great big sticker on it instructing the technician to use if car has less than 6000 miles.

Quick Reply: car back after blown engine replaced- not happy