UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Can I change over my front tyres ?

Old 10-06-2004, 04:02 AM
LTB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can I change over my front tyres ?

Just checked my front tyres (S02's) and there is just slightly over 2 mm remaining on the inside and 5mm on the outside of the tyres.
Will swapping the tyres over i.e. putting the right tyre on the left wheel and vice-versa cause any handling problems etc or is it completely normal practice ? (I seem to recall somebody mentioning it on a thread here before).

Brought this up with the dealer yesterday and he said it was a no no as the tyres are directional. Personally I think numbnuts dealer didn't understand what I was proposing and probably thought I meant just turning the tyre round but keeping it on the same wheel He was also quite keen to quote me the price of a new set of S02's so was probably more interested in making a sale than actually helping me out.

Anyone have any experience of doing this ??

Cheers.
Old 10-06-2004, 04:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He is right sort of..
If you simple take the wheels and tyres off and swap them then the directional tyres will be the wrong way around.
BUT if you have the tyres taken off the rims and swaped over that would work.

I do this to mine at about 5k, 19" rubber is lot more
Old 10-06-2004, 04:18 AM

Swapping them over is necessary if you want to get the best life out of a set of fronts.
I would think that you might notice a bit of tramlining for a while until they "bed in". I've not don it yet. Last time they were virtually bald on the insides, so I just replaced them.
Old 10-06-2004, 04:41 AM

The handling will be a bit odd - the car will tramline quite badly on roads with longitudinal undulations, and will "grab" a bit.

On decent roads, I didn't have much of a problem - did not seem to affect the grip adversely.

I've now had mine swapped for the scond time, although not driven the car much since this latest swap.
Old 10-06-2004, 05:04 PM

I've done this and didn't notice a massive difference after a few miles - lots cheaper than a new set Mind you, our roads are rubbish and never smooth, so I only have an inch of tread in contact with the road surface at any one time anyway
Old 10-06-2004, 11:36 PM

I also spent 10 mins trying to explain the concept of swapping tyres, not wheels with my dealer service manager and technician.

and then they said they'd never seen tyres wear on the inside and that I need geometry checking... hmm.
Old 10-07-2004, 12:06 AM
LTB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It was having a service and MOT done that alerted me to the fact that I was down to 2 mm (legal limit 1.6mm)

Went round to local tyre centre to get them to swap the tyres. Was quite surprised when they brought one of the tyres over to me with only 1.2 mm on it.

Nice one Honda - Job well done as usual.